1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who Says Big Box Stores Suck?

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by EGProject, Jun 12, 2011.

1. EGProject

EGProject YEEEEAAHHHHH

Myself being a person to almost never buy any electronics from Walmart/Best Buy/etc - I have to admit I got a steal at a local Best Buy.

I was looking originally for a 32" flatscreen for my bedroom to supplement my 42" Aquos in the living room. I had looked online at a few models, but wanted to see them in person. As usual I went to my local Best Buy to check them out and hassle the salespeople. Check out a few TV's and then wander around drooling over the new LED TV's. Just as I'm about to walk out of the TV section, in the 'open box' isle there is a 40" Toshiba TV box sitting on the shelf marked $449, down from $499. Check the model number, specs and ratings and its the same version on display for $619.

Ask a sales guy and play dumb. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a display model. It isn't. Someone bought it and thought the audio-out didn't work. Turns out it did. I tell him I want the TV, but only if they include the 2-year Geek Squad protection. He gets his manager. Manager agrees. As hes ringing out the TV for me, he realizes that this isn't the 720p version - its the 1080p version with more features - that someone marked as an open box special of the cheaper TV. I pay for it and get the 2-year protection plan for free.

Sometimes you CAN get good deals at big box stores.

2. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Damn, good find!

3. RHDism

RHDism Right Hand Drive guru

Sweet deal!...Kinda confused about a "big box" store.
    Didnt know others used smaller boxes .. ;)

4. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

^^^ might be taking over the "that guy" title from me
    lol

5. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member VIP

He has yet to make his bones around these parts. You'll remain that guy for some time yet no worries :D

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted