Who works with SQL Server?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ScrapinSi

So everytime we need to run a software update on our systems, we copy the new version of the executable onto the system, but then we need to execute SQL scripts. Sometimes there is one, sometimes there is 30. Does anybody know of any type of program/installer that could either automatically run the scripts and the single click of a button?

its called DTS. its built into sql server.

make a package with the queries linked into it. save package. move, run when desired.

Never even thought about DTS for that... One thing.... I know I can use DTS to execute a backup of the database, but if I make a package with everything, will it wait for the backup to be complete before executing the queries? Because backing up our DB's takes anywhere from 5-30 minutes.

call the update DTS from the backup DTS. you can include a package in a package.

backup runs, calls new dts for updates. finished.

yeah B, i looked into that after we talked, and still too involved... it actually looks like InstallShield will do everything I want, so I am downloading a "evaluation" ;) copy, and if I can get it to work, i'm going to present it to the company to drop the $4k on it.

Back