Who's done this hybrid ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

prestoncrx86

anyone got pics of a b16 bottom end with a b18b or b18a head on it ? also anyone know what parts are needed for the hybrid swap ? I know its called the Bastard hybrid so has anyone actually tried it ? :dry:

thats basicaly a DOHC ZC, but good if you swapped heads for an LS/vtec, and have a b16 block leftover and a LS head. I havent seen one but i'd like to see one even though it completely kills the idea of the B-series :laugh: , never know it might be great for turbo though. :wink:

because its dirt cheap to build one and it has more potential than idiots give it credit for... thus giving it low budget sleeper status

people practically give these parts away
that means once you spend a total of maybe $4-500 on the full head and block you have plenty of cash left over to get the LS head PnP'd and get some lumpy ass crower 404 or 405 cams and valvetrain for it... get some pistons that will put you somewhere around 11.5-12.5:1 and you have a high compression engine that will rev for ever and make shit loads of mid - top end power... drop a B16, GSR, or ITR tranny on it with an LSD and you have a sick ass setup for less than the cost of a GSR

I'd like to see one though, i haven't known anyone to build one.
I may end up trying it if I end up doing an LS/Vtec setup.

Hmm...never though of doing that. I have ALL those parts just laying around in my garage...well, minus the pistons. I also just have a b16 head laying around, maybe I'll just build the b16. :)

What are you putting this in? And what do you want to do with it? I mean that like do you want to track race it or just have a fun ride on the street? There was an article not to long ago I read talking about the b16 being more reliable than the b18 at extreme RPM's because of stroke length. I guess I could see some benifits to that in some sense. as far as parts I'd imagine it'd be just like and b18 block b16 head just bacwards with less wires to plug into

a friend of a friend did it. i saw the swap... first and only time i ever herd of it, until now. i remember him saying he had some trouble finding a timing belt that would work... not sure what he ended up using.

Quoted post[/post]]
a friend of a friend did it. i saw the swap... first and only time i ever herd of it, until now. i remember him saying he had some trouble finding a timing belt that would work... not sure what he ended up using.
i wanted to try it but yea, that does present a problem. but if he got it running then cool

it seriously sounds like a retarded swap/build... but if youre going to do it, go for it.

i think any info anyone finds should be posted ...like the timing belt...

.cuz i have a b16 block and 2 ls heads and a pr4 ecu.....the idea of having a built engine laying around is good....shit a crx is quick with a SOHC imagine a rev happy bastard with an 18g :driver: :hmm:

Back