Who's in sales?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I used to work for radioshack for 4yrs, i was a full time associate, i made 7hr + commission, on low end EX: batteries, was about 7% comission off those, mid range products EX:telephones and such was 5% commission, and hig end products such as Tv and high dollar products i made 3% on, But since they also sold cell fones, i made atleast 10 off every fone i sold, then you got added bonuses for stuff like insurance on the fone, and accessories. i hated that job with a passion.

i currently work for Alltel wireless as a sales, i make 9.52hr + commission, i average about 9.52-15Hr per check, so it all depends on how much i sale, i love it so far

Jeef: That was kind of what I was saying in a previous post. My sales numbers could be a lot higher if I could sell things that actually interest me. Home electronics, car audio, and cars are my greatest interests. It's pretty hard for me to get a job as a car salesman when I'm so young, but I could always start out as a porter/lot tech and then move to sales later on. Working at a parts counter is something that has always interested me, but I'm not sure how to go about getting a job like that with limited experience. Oh, and I'm def. looking foward to christmas time :).

Thanks again to everyone that replied.

Being an 18year old in sales, you're generally not going to make a huge amount of money, in fact as a rule of thumb as an 18year old, in general, you won't be making a ton of money.

In order to determine whats a good fit for yourself, you have to determine what you would like out of a job.

If you're just looking for some quick cash then working at a busy restaurant as a server will make you more money and will look decent on a job resume.

If you're looking for sales experience so you can go into sales later in your life, companies love when you've sold things in the past - selling cell phone contracts would be a great example of experience an employer would be looking for in a younger candidate in sales.

A great job to make both good money and look good on a resume is Cutco, the knife company. My housemate's sister made quite a bit in that business a few years back and was rolling in the money, but then again she was very good at selling the product.

Smart money for me would say both a job in a restaurant a few nights a week and also working with Cutco part time. You'll be making some good money and just boosted your resume with two jobs that are attractive to future employers.

You have to understand what you do today helps make you marketable for tomorrow. If you're not already, get yourself a good education so you don't have to be stuck in a low end job. Join social clubs, business clubs (FBLA, DECA), and fraternities for the resume boosters, friendship, and the networking possibilities.

I'm not about the quick cash at all. Working a job that will help me to have a better, higher-paying job in the future is what I'm looking for.

Being a waiter is a good idea, except I hate the restaurant work environment. I worked at a pizza place for over a year and I don't want to get back into that.

I plan on getting a college education once I find a decent paying job. I'd go a couple nights a week.

As far as service writers go, I was reading up on that job and found out that having previous experience in the automotive industry and/or ASE certification is basically required. I could be wrong about this, so could someone that was a service writer or knows one shed some light on this subject in detail.

Going into a little bit of detail about my job; I just don't sell the products. I also sell purchase agreements, replacment agreements, installations, as well as credit card applications. I'm really responsible for working in two departments, tools and paint. With paint, I mix and color match, so it's not just selling cans of paint.In addition to selling, I also have to make sure the products on the floor are stocked and that all sale signs are current.

Last edited:
Explore the options of Cutco or suck it up and work in the restaurant industry in order to put yourself through school. Most restaurants are very different from the pizza business.

I was making $100+ cash at the restaurant in a 4 hour shift. Work your way up and land a management position or a trainer position and that will look good on the resume as well.

I work in a highly profitable Honda dealership as a wholesale parts rep and a counter person. I get paid a minimal hourly wage, and then a percent of the gross profit for the month. I have written service also. Depending on what type of dealership you write service in, the pay plans differ quite a bit. Our service writer pay plan is based heavily on CSE ( Customer Service Experience) and then there is a bonus for achieving ecellent CSE. The parts and work sold are a minimal part of our service writers pay plan.There is a possibility for good money though. It all depends on how good you are at convincing the customer that your hand isnt in their pocket to take their money, it's in there to.....Well, just make sure they they dont think you are robbing them blind.

Not if you're great at it and work for a good company. There's TONS of money in sales if you know what you're doing.

Not if you're great at it and work for a good company. There's TONS of money in sales if you know what you're doing.

Yes, there is a ton of money to be made in sales. When you look at the situation logically, this should be exactly how business should operate. Salespeople are the only people in the company to actually generate revenue and they work on a percentage of how much revenue is generated.

The thing that hasn't been said is that by selling a quality product, for a quality company, the goal of the salesperson should be to help as much as the goal is to sell. Frankly, I'm disappointed in myself if I don't sell a life insurance policy or disability policy to someone who I care about, when I know from a risk management point of view its a vital component of protecting one's wealth.

^^Exactly. The goal I have is not only to get a sale, but to sell the customer what they want and build a relationship. The worst thing to cause is buyers remorse. They will return the product, and stop shopping at your store.

Selling is about the customer/client, NOT the money. I'd feel like a total asshole if I were to sell someting that the customer might not have needed in order to make a little more $$.

Last edited:
Little update.

I was switched over from commission to straight hourly. My current wage is $12/hr+ extra money for every credit app, PA, MRA, and install I sell.

I'm currently in talks with management to be promoted, just have to wait for a spot to open up.

My store manager is a total dildo, but overall, I'm happy with my current situation right now.

Just thought I'd share.

Nowhere really, lol. Just had some real-life issues I had to sort out.

I'm surprised you even remember me.

I'm a Parts Associate at Pepboys, and it pays pretty decent around 9 an hour nothin to bad, but its alright, i love cars, and i like to deal with stuff like that , but the management sucks ass..

Welcome To Wyoming

Out here its Diesel's and they think they are all race trucks this is my play toy

l_8bbf2d14e861a47c3834a8b2850e5b7a.jpg

Back