wht type of pain to i have?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thiebert

hey guys i got bought a crx that was painted and when i bought it i showed a guy that works at a body shop and he said that the clear coat had an orange peel and that i needed to have it wet sanded and then polished properly and it would look great. Now this guy just opened a body shop next door and he said that the paint is a shitty acrylic one stage and that if i wet sand it, it will just look awful.
Anybody know how i can tell for sure what type of pain i have and what should i do with it?

Anothe question i have is what is a good paint job worth? the same guys that told me it was a shitty acrylic i have kinda gotten to know and they do some really good work. They do mostly show cars and they look really good. Anyway they quoted me $2000 canadian for full paint with inners except engine bay. He said this is for the same paint job they put on their show cars. Does this sound reasonable? can i do better? or is it a really good deal?
thx

If you wet sand it you are going to take the paint off. you can try to buff it out and then it would be ok. but if you sand it you will screw it all up. Unless it's a show car and you are on a budger, i would just maaco it. i've had two paintjobs from there and they turned out great. you just have to look it over before you accept it. they stand by their paint jobs and will make it look right before you leave.

If you wet sand properly you will not go through the clear coat. A light wet sand followed by a proper buff and polish will make a night and day difference on any car. It will make the orange peel less noticable. If it's really bad or bothering you, then a paint job would be the best way to go, but you will be surprised by the results you get with a wet sand a buff. You can do this yourself if you have the patience. IMO its worth a try. Might save you a bunch of money.

gallery_29688_521_42846.jpg

i dont know if you can see what the finish is like on this pic. havn't had a sunny day in a while.

it's hard to tell.

Take a close up of the actual orange peel.

Orange peel.... you can kinda see it if you look close enough

DSCN0187.jpg

After wetsand (1000, 1500, 2000) and a light buff. In the pic it could be buffed more, but you get the idea

DSCN0201.jpg

The right side still has a bunch of compound film.

my girl has the good cameral right now and shes out. when she gets back i will take a good close pic. thanx guys

gallery_29688_521_139160.jpg

here is the orange peel, can it be fixed?
why does this happen to paint

poor gun setting...

Orange Peel (paint), a characteristic of improper flow-out.

It doesn't look TOO bad. Try buffing with compound first, if it doesn't make it look much nicer and doesn't have a nice smooth surface, start with 2000 grit and LIGHTLY wetsand.

When I painted my car, I adjusted my gun properly and had no orange peel, I had a few runs and some overspray but nothing major.

what do you mean by compound? and what should i do with it? body work not my specialty. Mechanics yes body work no. thanx alot

rubbing compound....it can be bought at any walmart and should be at any auto parts store.

I perfer the less dense more liquidy 3M kind, but others like the usual.

If you don't have a buffer, get one, borrow, rent, they're cheap and get a few extra pads as well.

Paint opinion:

It looks good as it is, I think that with some compound and some time it'll be sharp. Good color choice, looks even. To do this wet sanding takes the steady and trained hand of a pro - not the amateur. I could do it, but it took me a lot of time to learn.

I would suggest about 3 or 4 cans of compound, a new buffer and about 30 buffing pads. I also wet buff. Watch your edges.

Yea, wetsanding wouldn't be for an amateur, if you must, start high. Wasted paper> fucked up paint.

My hood as it sits....

There is VERY light orange peel, not noticeable. Not show car quality but not maaco either.

hood2.jpg

alright well i am goin to buy a buffer and some compound after work hen. anything i should look for or can i cheap out, is a buffer a buffer? i'll just tape my edges and do em by hand when i do it because i am sure i will fuck it up some how if i dont.

A buffer is a buffer, I got mine at Home Depot for like 35 bucks. Compound ranges from $1.50 up. Like I said, I perfer the liquidy kind. I'll take a pic in a few.

compoundbuffer.jpg

compund.jpg

well if it ever stops raining around here i will put some time in and try to get the ride looking right. I'll post pics when i finish the roof or somethin, and you can tell me if i am doing alright. thanx again

thats not a proper buffer, get a real vary speed buffer and youll be 100x better off

Back