Why are fellow honda swapers aginst E85

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Maybe you need to read a couple books instead of driving your 14 cars.

Race cars(mainly boosted vehicles) run alcohol because it allows them to run higher compressions and timing; the fastest are running mainly nitromethane. ;)

Formula One and MotoGP, which are arguably the fastest NA machines, run off of gasoline. The trick is controlling detonation. You want peak cylinder pressures just after TDC so the fuel would need to hold off detonation until that point. A huge hint; F1 and motorcycles have small bores; which are less prone to detonation.

As far as premium fuels go, it may just be fuel quality or the slower burn rate has no effect(caused by some other variable). My brother's car responds the same as that CRX; with 87 it gets about 31-35mpg avg, and with 89/93 we managed to get 35-38mpg avg. My Civic(swapped,etc.) got 47mpg on the highway, with 93, though I've never ran the car with anything less than 93.

Last edited:
Here is a news flash..

Premium fuel vs regular unleaded..

The regular is fresh, cycled constantly. The tank is filled up often. Premium fuels sit around in the storage tanks waiting for someone to use them. When they are serviced, they are only partially filled because the fuel doesn't sell as fast, leaving more room in the tank for air, which adds moisture. If you are in a rural area or small town, chances are, the premium fuel is old nasty water contaminated goop.

Something to think about when arguing these kinds of numbers.

any fuel on a racetrack is going to be cycled often. They take better care of the tanks that hold racetrack fuels.

If you want to find good-quality high-octane fuel, go to the gas station with seperate nozzles across from a luxury car dealership, (BMW, MB, Audi, etc.) and use that station. That premium fuel doesn't sit around long.

Alternatively, you could move to europe, where it's difficult to find 87(r+m/2) fuel, or Germany, where most stations don't even sell less than 90(r+m/2) anymore.

thanks for the help above guys. i didnt have the raw data, i just know what i've seen between the two. I know my prelude's gas mileage tanked after the ethanol switch, but I had done so much to that car i figured i broke something.

Also, I know it's old, but the whole argument of the better gas mileage between 100 and 87 wasn't because of the octane difference. It was because the 100 didn't have any ethanol whereas the 87 did. That seemed to be a point of confusion for those who were saying it couldn't happen.

Last edited:
Back