Why Honda OEM plug wires Dont Suck

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

First take a look at this independent dyno comparison of spark plug wires done by Temple of VTEC Asia:

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?...article_id=8680

as u can see, OEM honda wires that are 8 YEARS OLD performed better than brand new NGK wires and "no-name gounded wires" (cough)Nology(cough).

so i decided to look into the company that makes OEM honda wires (the name SUMITOMO is printed on the wires themselves).

here is what i found! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

company history:
http://www.sei.co.jp/sei_info_e/history/roots.html

company historic milestones:
http://www.sei.co.jp/sei_info_e/history/

proof of their involvement in the auto industry:
http://www.sei.co.jp/ewp/E/tenzikai_zyouho..._zyouhou_f.html

example of one of their spiral shielded wire products:
http://www.sei.co.jp/ewp/SEI_WEB/category/...frame_3_06.html

in conclusion: SUMITOMO ELECTRIC is 100000000000 times > NGK, nology, magnecor, etc...even > honda motor co.

honda makes VERY good OEM parts

only aftermaket sparkplug wires I would and DO use is MSD they rock! very very very good fit!!!!

too bad they run about 75 bucks

Dayum...I'm not changing my wires...lol

Everyone go out and check out your door seals...every piece of rubber that is keeping water from getting into your car was made in my hometown...by a company called Nishakawa Standard. (I just did a network wire run there yesterday....pain in the ass.)

They gave Honda some subpar seals a month or two ago...and Honda rejected them and told them to make the order over again. That'll give you an idea of how fucking picky Honda is. :worthy:

Jeffie7 - did you check out the info on Sumitomo Electric? they've been making electronics since the 1800's. they also make fiber optic cables and superconductive cables.

Originally posted by sleepergtx@Nov 8 2003, 02:58 PM
They gave Honda some subpar seals a month or two ago...and Honda rejected them and told them to make the order over again. That'll give you an idea of how fucking picky Honda is. :worthy:

:thumbsup: cool. honda isnt the only one with those standards though. its very common with large japanese corporations. thats why they are kicking america's ass in overall quality and reliability.

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Nov 8 2003, 03:01 PM
Jeffie7 - did you check out the info on Sumitomo Electric? they've been making electronics since the 1800's. they also make fiber optic cables and superconductive cables.

I said honda makes VERY good OEM parts

I just happen to use MSD plug wires on my turbo civic as with a MSD coil and MSD Ignition Amplifier

BTW I was getting a very weak spark using the stock honda coil/plugs but Im talking about a built car pushing way more power then most hondas running around do

OEM honda is VERY good stuff

go buy a OEM rotor/cap and then buy a aftermaket one and look at the differances OEM is much better but cost 2-3X as much

after market cap/rotor runs about 20 bucks OEM cap/rotor runs about 45-50 bucks

i don't get it.

honda oem wires are made by ngk.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 8 2003, 06:24 PM
i don't get it.

honda oem wires are made by ngk.

nope...here are my OEM Honda wires on my crx:
s3fadc7e82e643.jpg

having a macro setting on your digital camera ownz!

I wonder what mine say...it's too fucking cold to go check though. lol

another point is:

If ngk makes honda oem wires, then WHY did BRAND NEW NGK WIRES perform worst than the 8 YEAR OLD OEM wires in that dyno test???

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Nov 9 2003, 12:02 AM
another point is:

IF ngk makes hooda oem wires, then WHY did BRAND NEW ngk wires perform horribly against the 8 YEAR OLD OEM wires in that dyno test???

the wires themselves aren't the only thing affecting the spark. You also gotta take in account which plugs and coil, etc you're gonna use. I bet if you use all NGK shit with those wires, they'll perform that much better. But you never know.

Originally posted by sleepergtx+Nov 9 2003, 12:03 AM-->
rixXxceboy
@Nov 9 2003, 12:02 AM
another point is:

IF ngk makes hooda oem wires, then WHY did BRAND NEW ngk wires perform horribly against the 8 YEAR OLD OEM wires in that dyno test???

the wires themselves aren't the only thing affecting the spark. You also gotta take in account which plugs and coil, etc you're gonna use. I bet if you use all NGK shit with those wires, they'll perform that much better. But you never know.

the dyno tests were done on the same car, in the same room, in the same test session..one right after the other.

quote from the dyno article:
"To clear the mystery and resolve this debate once and for all, TOVA requested Dynojet Far East to perform a spark-plug cables dyno test."

I realize that. That also has it's problems for this test. One run, the car is cool, one run the car is warm. Unless it had a fan on it, the car isn't mobile so there's less air going over the radiator, keeping the engine warmer, and the intake mixture more lean, losing hp.

Shit there's just too many variables in this test to say that OEM wires are better than NGK for sure.

they would have to be retards if they started the dyno tests on a cold engine.

another quote:
"The dyno runs were performed immediately one after the other, with only the minimum of delay necessitated by having to switch off the engine to replace the plug cables."

I believe the test is right

BUT

honda in the past and even to this day has not always stuck with ONE maker of its OEM parts for say oil filters

thats why some of their oil filters are made by isuzu
some people say Fram made a few batches and have seen the FRAM on the HONDA OEM filter

my oil filter says Toyo....

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Nov 9 2003, 12:12 AM

another quote:
"The dyno runs were performed immediately one after the other, with only the minimum of delay necessitated by having to switch off the engine to replace the plug cables."

:doh: just say you see my point and be done with it. I know it was close. it's just too damn close...that dyno graph just tells me that NGK has got to be the closest thing to stock performance you can get.

Why'd they pick NGK wires and not any other type to test?

Originally posted by sleepergtx+Nov 9 2003, 12:18 AM-->
rixXxceboy
@Nov 9 2003, 12:12 AM

another quote:

:doh: just say you see my point and be done with it. I know it was close. it's just too damn close...that dyno graph just tells me that NGK has got to be the closest thing to stock performance you can get.

those are 8 year old oem wires against brand new ngk wires!

how is that CLOSE???

Originally posted by rixXxceboy+Nov 9 2003, 12:22 AM-->
Originally posted by sleepergtx@Nov 9 2003, 12:18 AM
rixXxceboy
@Nov 9 2003, 12:12 AM

another quote:

those are 8 year old oem wires against brand new ngk wires!

how is that CLOSE???

lol I wish that was my job...spending money to run a car on a dyno to figure out what's better: OEM vs NGK.

:worthy:

Back