Why I (less than three) Linux

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

alright, i started fresh and reinstalled kubuntu. something happened (i dont know what) and the display was ALL screwed up.

so i get the wireless setup again (cake) and start getting somethings. for one i downloaded and installed firefox. but i can only start firefox if i go into the terminal and type 'firefox'. how do i get a icon to put on the desktop that i can just click on?

and ive been tying to get AIGLX to get started on beryl, but i cant find a straight forward method of obtaining and installing it. ive tried a few methods but all ended in some sort of error. where and how did you guys install AIGLX?

also i noticed a little triangle with an exclaimation mark and it said i had 106 updates. so i clicked on it, and immediately the picture got all fucked up again. i logged back out and back in and the resolution went to the lowest possible. if i tried upping it, the picture was all fucked again. also, i wasnt allowed to up the resolution to the point that it was before. my monitor is capable of 1400x1050. i had it set at 1280x1024. and now its set to 640x480 with a max of 1024x768. wtf happened? its doing the adept update thing now...

alright, i started fresh and reinstalled kubuntu. something happened (i dont know what) and the display was ALL screwed up.

so i get the wireless setup again (cake) and start getting somethings. for one i downloaded and installed firefox. but i can only start firefox if i go into the terminal and type 'firefox'. how do i get a icon to put on the desktop that i can just click on?

and ive been tying to get AIGLX to get started on beryl, but i cant find a straight forward method of obtaining and installing it. ive tried a few methods but all ended in some sort of error. where and how did you guys install AIGLX?

also i noticed a little triangle with an exclaimation mark and it said i had 106 updates. so i clicked on it, and immediately the picture got all fucked up again. i logged back out and back in and the resolution went to the lowest possible. if i tried upping it, the picture was all fucked again. also, i wasnt allowed to up the resolution to the point that it was before. my monitor is capable of 1400x1050. i had it set at 1280x1024. and now its set to 640x480 with a max of 1024x768. wtf happened? its doing the adept update thing now...

Ill help you with the things i know about from your description.

The make command doesnt work in what context, kinda need to know that before we can get any further.

After that, you can right click on the desktop, hit create shortcut (or something along those lines) and the command for firefox is, as you said, firefox.

Ive never used AIGLX before, so im no help there. As for the display issue, it might be a driver problem. If you have an add-on video card, here is where you can get the drivers for those.

Unix Drivers Portal Page nVidia

Drivers & Software ATI

Once you get the drivers you should be good to go. all the installation instructions are readily available.

Aside from those points, one of the other members will have to help you with those.

i dont think its a driver issue. im pretty sure the drivers are already included in kubuntu. i say this because right after the install of the kubuntu OS, i had all my resolution, it only got screwed up when i did that sort of automatice update thing i mentioned.

ok it was just because of the updates, it redid the xorg stuff. i just rebooted and reconfigured the xorg. many many MANY thanks to dennis for walking me through it.

back to getting beryl....

Back