why illegal?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K-V-NO

i've heard it is illegal to swap in a b-series in a 02 civic, why not? if i wanted to, could i?

it is illegal because of the emission standards keep going up and you can only legally swap for the same or newer year engine.

thats why cali sucks move to chicago we don't have that shit just a vacum line to your exhaust and you can always put 2 cats in if you don't pass with one lol

Originally posted by CRX_B16B@Feb 10 2004, 11:27 PM
it is illegal because of the emission standards keep going up and you can only legally swap for the same or newer year engine.

emission, no big deal, but could still be swap in, right?

Originally posted by CRX_B16B@Feb 10 2004, 11:35 PM
why? that seems kinda stupid to me. 2.0L for 1.8L?

sorry, let me break it done more, not a 02 "si" civic, but a 02 civic "ex", trust me bro i wouldn'd go from a 2.0 to a 1.8l, in that case i would not ask this question.
figure to easier and cheaper 4 a b-series knowing all the work that needs to be done, and not wanting to spend alot of dough $

hmmm if u want to put a b-series ina 02 civic, u should be slapped by the hand of God....

first off... k-series and b-series rotate a differnt direction...so your engine would have to be put in backwards

2nd it will cost you so much money it would be a joke if u did it...when u could of used that money to build ur k-series

3rd K-series will soon have more potential than a b-series..once people kno how to work k-series and become for familair with it than a b-series the k-series will soon become a better platform IMO

if u going to swap a motor in..consider the k20a2

Originally posted by h22bubbleback@Feb 11 2004, 12:18 AM
hmmm if u want to put a b-series ina 02 civic, u should be slapped by the hand of God....

first off... k-series and b-series rotate a differnt direction...so your engine would have to be put in backwards

2nd it will cost you so much money it would be a joke if u did it...when u could of used that money to build ur k-series

3rd K-series will soon have more potential than a b-series..once people kno how to work k-series and become for familair with it than a b-series the k-series will soon become a better platform IMO

simple question, whats the difference of swapping out a stock d17 from 02 ex civic and replacing it with a b-series motor, (myself knowing already k-series rotation direction from a b-series, but not looking for k-series, taking my previous b18c5 out of my crashed ek)?

Originally posted by K-V-NO+Feb 10 2004, 07:28 PM-->
h22bubbleback
@Feb 11 2004, 12:18 AM

simple question, whats the difference of swapping out a stock d17 from 02 ex civic and replacing it with a b-series motor, (myself knowing already k-series rotation direction from a b-series, but not looking for k-series, taking my previous b18c5 out of my crashed ek)?

lets just say you were smart, you would sell your type r motor and get a K SERIES MOTOR, like a type s out of an rsx or a newer type r motor.

you would be doing way too much shit to make it worth while but hey you wanna spend 8 grand to install a b series in a 02 civic go ahead

Originally posted by h22bubbleback@Feb 11 2004, 01:18 AM

Except the EX doesn't have a K series, it has D series.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Feb 12 2004, 03:18 AM-->
h22bubbleback
@Feb 11 2004, 01:18 AM

Except the EX doesn't have a K series, it has D series.

:werd: d17a2 to be exact

Whats up w/ this different direction bs? The K into an EM has been done many times now. Yes it may spin in a different direction but its not like the axles spin in any different direction to make the car go forward. So......why would you put the motor in backwards? Oh and as long as on saturday its as warm as they say I'll be puttin one in and not backwards.

Originally posted by vtecsir1+Feb 10 2004, 09:34 PM-->
Originally posted by K-V-NO@Feb 10 2004, 07:28 PM
h22bubbleback
@Feb 11 2004, 12:18 AM

lets just say you were smart, you would sell your type r motor and get a K SERIES MOTOR, like a type s out of an rsx or a newer type r motor.

you would be doing way too much shit to make it worth while but hey you wanna spend 8 grand to install a b series in a 02 civic go ahead

let's just say that if you were smart... you would stop being such a dumbshit and handing out soo much misinformation. not all '02 civics have a K series. he has a d-series in his ex. it would be 4867654687654687654564 times harder to but a k-series in there than a b-series. swap your ITR engine dude, and don't listen to anything ^^^ has to say.

:withstupid: Im tired of all these dumbasses giving out misinformation. The 02 civics still come with a D-series meaning the mounts are almost just like all the old D-series. You need a RSX subframe to drop in a K into a new civic.... so yea the B would be a lot easier. Do that. :thumbsup:

are you guys sure the b seires is easier? will it go it with stock axles/hubs/mounts? sure its still a d series but the tranny is on the other side of the car. also, it sounds like it would be a wiring nightmare.

The transmission is on the same side of the car as the B series... the D17 engine and transmission share the same configuration as the old D series cars.

The B is physically easier, since you don't have to worry about swapping the subframes and moving all the accessories over to the other side of the engine- but wiring will still be a pain. Since K swaps are getting more and more common, I'd just go that route- get a subframe and mounts from HASport, then hack away!

thanks for the correct info you guys, i knew what i was talking about, i'm not a expert in automotive, but i know enough to make other fella's look stupid on this forum, not saying any names but they should be slapped by the hand god. :blink:

knowing the swap is illegal, what is the concenquences of being caught, who would turn me in, to who? HIGHWAY PATROL?
for now, i like to see a b-series in 02 civic, later in future, of course k20a, they're jus too dawm expensive @ this time.
and has any1 done or known any1 who has done this swap?

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin@Feb 12 2004, 03:30 PM
are you guys sure the b seires is easier? will it go it with stock axles/hubs/mounts? sure its still a d series but the tranny is on the other side of the car. also, it sounds like it would be a wiring nightmare.

do you ever use the stock axles or mounts when switching from D to B? :no: . and what calesta said. just don't go giving advice when you don't know what you're talking about.

Back