Why ILLEGAL ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Besides the fact that you can barley see the brake light during the day, what are reason why pigs are trippin off the all clear taillights? i'm Thinkin you can Just Throw in colored bulbes, like amber turn signals and red brake light... I'm in cali so I know stuffs strick over here but i also wanted to know if your turn signals need to be amber? and does a 1991 CRX HF have air bags?, sorry for throwing alot of question, just had then on my mind while i was in this section. hope u guys can help me out.

Originally posted by SOHCMUGENCRX@Apr 21 2004, 12:14 PM
Besides the fact that you can barley see the brake light during the day, what are reason why pigs are trippin off the all clear taillights? i'm Thinkin you can Just Throw in colored bulbes, like amber turn signals and red brake light... I'm in cali so I know stuffs strick over here but i also wanted to know if your turn signals need to be amber? and does a 1991 CRX HF have air bags?, sorry for throwing alot of question, just had then on my mind while i was in this section. hope u guys can help me out.

because having clearlights should be a crime! :lol:

no, seriously though, I think they're not DOT approved and that makes them illegal. Probably has something to do with the way they project light and such.

Ya, the all clear tail lights are illegal. Dont ask me why but they just are.

And as for the turn signals, I believe they have to be either amber or red. Thats what comes on stock cars and you never see any stock cars with white turn signals, or blue turn signals.

And I think that 91 HF CRX's do not come with airbags. Not exactly sure though.

Originally posted by Incredib1e@Apr 21 2004, 01:39 PM
If the clear taillights are illegal then how come the new Lexus SUVs come with them out of factory?

The new Lexus SUVs still have red reflectors on the back. That's enough to meet DOT regulations. If you put in clear taillights but still have red reflectors on the back in the proper positions that are visible for 1000 feet (not sure about exact distance), then technically you're legal. Check with your state laws to be sure.

Texas light laws:

Front signals and markers must be amber, white, or any color in between.
Rear brake lights must be red.
Rear signals must be red, amber, or any color in between.

Originally posted by Calesta+Apr 21 2004, 01:52 PM-->
Incredib1e
@Apr 21 2004, 01:39 PM
If the clear taillights are illegal then how come the new Lexus SUVs come with them out of factory?

The new Lexus SUVs still have red reflectors on the back. That's enough to meet DOT regulations. If you put in clear taillights but still have red reflectors on the back in the proper positions that are visible for 1000 feet (not sure about exact distance), then technically you're legal. Check with your state laws to be sure.

Texas light laws:

Front signals and markers must be amber, white, or any color in between.
Rear brake lights must be red.
Rear signals must be red, amber, or any color in between.

actually they are an all clear design, the new RX330 is all clear, even the reflectors, but they use a lot of red leds, designed to be seen.

they stupid $100 all clear tails you want are the same thing you have now, but without the red tint, and you know when you are behind someoen, its IMPOSSIBLE to tell when they are brakin during the day. the new RX330 you could see those in the middle of the day from 3blocks away. thats why yours are illegal.

Originally posted by ktanaka+Apr 21 2004, 04:11 PM-->
91 CRX HF has NO airbags.

Huh? :blink:

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Apr 21 2004, 04:17 PM
actually they are an all clear design, the new RX330 is all clear, even the reflectors, but they use a lot of red leds, designed to be seen.

they stupid $100 all clear tails you want are the same thing you have now, but without the red tint, and you know when you are behind someoen, its IMPOSSIBLE to tell when they are brakin during the day. the new RX330 you could see those in the middle of the day from 3blocks away. thats why yours are illegal.

No, the RX330 taillights are still illegal by themselves. Read my post again:

Calesta
@Apr 21 2004, 01:52 PM

Look again the next time you seen an RX330. The red reflectors are NOT in the taillight clusters- they're in the bumper cover. The reflectors do NOT have to be part of the taillights. It just happens that almost every single production car on the road HAS the reflectors IN the taillight cluster- that's why people think the RX330 is breaking the law. It might adhere to the rules, but it's cutting things really close. People are still getting pulled over for not having proper equipment on their RX330s, even though they're completely stock and approved by the DOT to run on public streets.

Just lighting up red and being able to see that red doesn't make you legal. If you put a bunch of red LEDs in your all clear taillights but have no red reflectors, you're not legal. The purpose of reflecting red is so that people can see your car at night when your lights aren't on- it's a safety issue.

Make sure you know your laws before you start quoting what's legal and illegal.

Originally posted by Calesta+Apr 21 2004, 05:10 PM-->
Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Apr 21 2004, 04:17 PM

No, the RX330 taillights are still illegal by themselves. Read my post again:

Calesta
@Apr 21 2004, 01:52 PM

Look again the next time you seen an RX330. The red reflectors are NOT in the taillight clusters- they're in the bumper cover. The reflectors do NOT have to be part of the taillights. It just happens that almost every single production car on the road HAS the reflectors IN the taillight cluster- that's why people think the RX330 is breaking the law. It might adhere to the rules, but it's cutting things really close. People are still getting pulled over for not having proper equipment on their RX330s, even though they're completely stock and approved by the DOT to run on public streets.

Just lighting up red and being able to see that red doesn't make you legal. If you put a bunch of red LEDs in your all clear taillights but have no red reflectors, you're not legal. The purpose of reflecting red is so that people can see your car at night when your lights aren't on- it's a safety issue.

Make sure you know your laws before you start quoting what's legal and illegal.

hmm... i didnt ever think about that.

but now it does make sense.

Ahhhh so thats what it is, Thanks for the info guys, Oh and since my crx didnt comt with airbags, if i replace the steering wheel with a lets say.... sparco or MoMo steering wheel, then i wouldnt be tampering with the airbag right? since I dont have any correct?

Thanks,

Oh and how about the Interior ? if i get pulled over can a cop tell me anything about my interior ? because in my crx I dont have center console and e-brake console(because i didnt like the posistion of my climate control and stereo so i wanted to shift it towards me) and from my seat back its stripped, so if I get pulled over and a cop sees my interior, besides making him suspicious, there isnt anything im doing wrong right?

Thanks,

1. you wont be able to be harassed about a wheel since you didnt have airbags to startwith.

2. as long as all your seats/belts/gauges are in working OEM condition you shouldnt have a prob with interior stuff

uh you can always tell if you have an airbag if the wheel has SRS on it. RX330 aren't the only cars that have the reflectors on some other part beside the taillights. Look at a lot of modern GM cars, and caddys have red reflective strips built into the rear bumper. And no cops are not awble to do anything about your interior, unless you don't have the safety equipment that is required. AKA airbags, seatbelts, I think that is it. He'll prolly just laugh at you for having such an ugly interior. I personally like gutted interiors, but a cop prolly won't understand why you took out all interior, unless he's a racer too. If you really want those clear taillights, I don't know why you would since they're uber gay, just get some round stick on reflectors from kragen or something. They are like 1/2 inch in diameter.

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy+Apr 21 2004, 08:33 PM-->
hmm... i didnt ever think about that.
but now it does make sense.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Apr 22 2004, 01:30 AM
1. you wont be able to be harassed about a wheel since you didnt have airbags to startwith.

2. as long as all your seats/belts/gauges are in working OEM condition you shouldnt have a prob with interior stuff

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Apr 22 2004, 01:31 AM
Scott = teh :owned:

:p :angry: :p

MikeBergy
@Apr 22 2004, 02:26 AM
uh you can always tell if you have an airbag if the wheel has SRS on it. RX330 aren't the only cars that have the reflectors on some other part beside the taillights. Look at a lot of modern GM cars, and caddys have red reflective strips built into the rear bumper. And no cops are not awble to do anything about your interior, unless you don't have the safety equipment that is required. AKA airbags, seatbelts, I think that is it. He'll prolly just laugh at you for having such an ugly interior. I personally like gutted interiors, but a cop prolly won't understand why you took out all interior, unless he's a racer too. If you really want those clear taillights, I don't know why you would since they're uber gay, just get some round stick on reflectors from kragen or something. They are like 1/2 inch in diameter.

Just check your inspection regulations for interior specs. There generally aren't any major laws other than needing your seats bolted down correctly (subjective per inspector), having legal seat belts etc- just don't tamper with the safety equipment. Technically, you don't have to have an airbag to be legal- but tampering with the SRS system IS illegal. I'm sure there's ways around not having an airbag- I'll just never try it.

If you're going to go clear and just get red reflectors, make sure they comply with your states' lighting laws. Each state has slightly different rules on what is and isn't allowed, for how large a reflector has to be, and what distance a reflector has to be visible from at night. A half inch round reflector may not be enough.

i know in ct the reflector ahs to b 1x2 incheslike a bicycle peddlereflector. and since we are on the subject does anyone know what red bulbs are good. u know ones that dont turn pink after a week ciz im lokin inot those lights too

Nice.... So I cAn have a totally gutted interior and have a aluminum dash with the gauges and two Recaro seats with point harness and sparco steering wheel, cop cant bitch at me about it? since i have the gauges, and i got the seat belts( even if 5 point harness) and seats right? he can just give me my " exhibition speed" ticket and i can be on my way right? lol

Originally posted by PhyRe@Apr 22 2004, 11:59 AM
i know in ct the reflector ahs to b 1x2 incheslike a bicycle peddlereflector. and since we are on the subject does anyone know what red bulbs are good. u know ones that dont turn pink after a week ciz im lokin inot those lights too

Don't know.... red bulbs aren't exactly DOT legal, so there aren't too many people making them.

Originally posted by SOHCMUGENCRX@Apr 22 2004, 12:43 PM
Nice.... So I cAn have a totally gutted interior and have a aluminum dash with the gauges and two Recaro seats with point harness and sparco steering wheel, cop cant bitch at me about it? since i have the gauges, and i got the seat belts( even if 5 point harness) and seats right? he can just give me my " exhibition speed" ticket and i can be on my way right? lol

Yes, they can still bitch at you. Very few multi-point racing harnesses are street legal. If you're running that much crap inside the car and get pulled over for racing, I can guarantee you that the cop will find quite a few things to write you up on.

Back