Why is my car still smoking

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

poops87

I have a 88 ZC engine with new piston rings and it keeps smoking it just got rebuilt. The block was bored .020 and the rings and pistons were changed accordingly. So far i have drove 350 miles and it still is smoking the guy who did the rebuild for me said it should stop smoking in a thousand miles or so i think he is full of it. i have never drove it over 3k RPMs and changed the oil once after 200 miles. Why the hell is it still smoking i don't think its normal

any suggestions in break-in and why its happening would be greatly appreciated.

Could be valve seals?

But I'd suggest just driving it real lightly for the 1st 1000 miles and seeing where it is at then looking for problems. Don't get on the throttle at all.

Quoted post[/post]]
Could be valve seals?

But I'd suggest just driving it real lightly for the 1st 1000 miles and seeing where it is at then looking for problems. Don't get on the throttle at all.

:werd: If you are still smoking after 350 miles, I'd look into it, and in the meantime, be easy on the throttle. Chech pcv valve, valveseals, then if those aren't the problems, maybe your buddy hosed you on the rebuild. I rebuilt my own engine. and the only smoke coming out of it was fuel smoke (from a stupid rich basemap), and it's not smoking at all anymore, at least not when it's warm. I have one leaky valve seal that I know of, and it still doesn't smoke. So I hope this helps, good luck.

to me its no surpirse that it is smoking, It is a very addicting habit! some people try again and again for years to stop and never manage

HEy thanks guys
By not get on the throttle what could you say in precentages like 100 full and 1 percent being idle
I have a new exedy clutch so its kindof hard to keep the throttle really low and start

But could the problem go away what is anybody elses experience with Break-ins have any one elses cars smoked?

Quoted post[/post]]
HEy thanks guys
By not get on the throttle what could you say in precentages like 100 full and 1 percent being idle
I have a new exedy clutch so its kindof hard to keep the throttle really low and start

But could the problem go away what is anybody elses experience with Break-ins have any one elses cars smoked?

Like I said. I only have about 200 miles on my rebuild. I have absolutely no smoke whatsoever. When I bought my R6 in july, it was built for me right out of the crate, only smoked for like 10 miles, and was done after that. A well built engine should not smoke for very long. The only reason an engine would smoke would be during its initial breaking in, while the rings have yet to completely seal, and oil is able to slightly pass by the rings. But your rings should have seated and the honing crosshatch completely gone within the first 20-30 miles. My integra smoked fuel until I tuned it, but no oil smoke whatsoever that I can recall.

Back