Why is there Power Steering fluid lines going into the trans?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

That is the cooler lines for the power steering fluid. The speed sensor doubles as a pump for the power steering cooler. That is what I have been told anyway.

SO, lets say I removed that Power Steering cooler in the front, would that make the tranny get extra hot? It seems that as soon as I removed that cooler I started having more and more clutch issues. I can beat the car hard for about 20mins until it all gets nice and hot and the clutch starts slipping like crazy. Any thoughts?

Hold on a sec, back to the speed sensor pumping the fluid. Why would it do that? Why would there be a power steering pump then? Do you think that maybe it cools the speed sensor gear since its not submerged in the tranny fluid?

Ok I did a little more research on this strange item and it seems it is a power steering speed sensor that lessens the amount of power steering assist you get at higher speeds. Makes sense to me now.

Yeah its kinda like what rlyons said(after his reaserch), its like a sensor(not exactly a full on pump) so that when you are not moving, the power steering is boosted so that you can really crank the steering when say, parallel parking. Then when you are driving, the transmission lessens the power steering so that your steering isn't so sensitive. Its pretty neat.

Last edited:
what if?

So what if i undo these lines? i would in theory have more responsive steering at higher speeds? how would turning be at lower speeds or at a stop?

I'm not sure, it could go either way but its nice how it is without tampering isn't it?;)

LOL, when you get advice from a forum dedicated to modding the hell out of your car, and they are saying "leave it alone," odds are, you better leave it alone. imho

lol damn i was hoping for some more time to spend with my car... but ok. tehe

Back