Why not to buy an iPOD

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
Our Message:

In September of 2003 the battery in my first generation ipod would hold a charge for no longer than one hour. I brought the iPod into the Apple store in Manhattan for repair and was told they do not currently offer a battery replacement program and my best option was to buy a new ipod. I then called the Apple Care 800 number regarding this issue and was told the same. I then sent my ipod to the Apple Executive office addressed to Steve Jobs with a note explaining my situation and requesting a replacement battery. The Apple Executive office contacted me via telephone to explain that Apple does not repair or replace dead ipod batteries and that it was policy of the company to recommend to the customer to purchase a new ipod when the battery fails. I then looked into and purchased a third party replacement battery, this battery was not endorsed by Apple. After the complicated installation my ipod did not work at all, even when it was plugged in. I then purchased a new ipod for $400.00.

In response to this my brother Van and I made the short film "iPod's Dirty Secret" After we finished production of the film, but not necessarily in response to it, Apple began offerring a battery replacement program for the ipod for a fee of $99 and an extended warranty for the ipod for $59.

We think Apple's new policy is fair. Our movie is a documentation of our experience.

-Casey Neistat

http://ipodsdirtysecret.com/message.html
http://ipodsdirtysecret.com

i knew that fucker was a piece of shit. get a nomad. you have to be a bit more gentle, but it works sooo much better.

my nomad jukebox is 20gb and the size of a normal cd walkman, but it works great. two battery bays and replacements are easy to buy. i love it.

hmmmm....buy a Geo, or a Cavalier, or the ultimate mean street machine Neon*

*warning..if the battery dies, then it's time to buy a real car...

Originally posted by Prowler@Dec 5 2003, 10:32 AM
my nomad jukebox is 20gb and the size of a normal cd walkman, but it works great. two battery bays and replacements are easy to buy. i love it.

werd- i got the nomad zen. i've been bring it to work with me for months now, and i still don't think i've heard the same song twice. 30GB owns me.

best part, it acts as a 30 gb portable harddrive too if i want. it can store regualr files (just can't play them) to be x-fered at another machine.

and christ- iPod is made by apple. you actually EXPECTED it to not be a piece?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 5 2003, 11:51 AM
and christ- iPod is made by apple. you actually EXPECTED it to not be a piece?

:werd:

much like anything else apple makes ... you dont upgrade or repair anything ... you just throw the fucker out and go buy a new one

i've been an Apple fan for years now. I personnally have had no issue with any of the products I've bought(3 desktops,1 Laptop, and a bunch of Misc BS), but everyone is entitled to there opinion. At least Mac makes most of there products very upgradable...think of a Gateway no way in hell. I also don't believe that that was there strategy to bend people over like that, maybe just bad planning in the bigening.

Originally posted by hybrid89@Dec 5 2003, 11:28 AM
i've been an Apple fan for years now. I personnally have had no issue with any of the products I've bought(3 desktops,1 Laptop, and a bunch of Misc BS), but everyone is entitled to there opinion. At least Mac makes most of there products very upgradable...think of a Gateway no way in hell. I also don't believe that that was there strategy to bend people over like that, maybe just bad planning in the bigening.

How is a Mac upgradable at all??? They aren't, when you want a better video card, you buy a new machine. Faster processor? New machine. Backwards compatability is not in their vocabulary but planned obsolescence is. This goes for their software as well.

maybe thats what he means ..... you just "upgrade" to a new product :lmao:

proccesors no. I agree, but backwards compatability...come on! You show me a PC that can open any disk out there(including UNIX) W/O having to run 3rd party software. Wheres the PC with the built in DVD burner? What machines are programs like photoshop,illustrator,and #D Studio Max built around...A MAC not a PC.

see thats the beautiful thing about PCs it doesnt HAVE to come with one built in .... you can just put one in.... and when a faster one comes out if you want to get it... you can put that in too

for instance ... i do not have a DVD burner right now... they are all still too slow for me to bother with one.... but when one comes out with a reasonable speed... i can go out and buy it and put it in the PC i already have :)

same with vido cards, sound cards, ram, processors, or virtually any other part you can think of... i dont need to go out and but a whole new system... i can just "upgrade" the desired part

:werd:
mac will not win this debate. only thing macs are good for is graphical editing.

Back