Why?....Why? Honda....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hunter4life

Rotary Man
Looking at my car and my friend owning a civic with a swapped GSR engine has had me looking at honda's and especially this site for a long time now. I have lived and breathed honda for a long time. However today I had an epiphany why Honda? What is so good about Honda? People scower this site looking for advice and ways to get their civic or crx to a measly 150-170. ( yes i know their are turbocharged engines out there that are making more) but still they dont look that great and I would much rather have a supra or 300zx! They are a true sports car and flatout would spank your integra. Heck even my uncle can beat almost anything with his WORK TRUCK. A Dodge he bought and chipped for 150 bucks. Now hes pushing 450hp. Some days I get so frustrated with the whole HONDAPOWER thing so I thought I would speak my mind today. Someone please help me see the silverlining in this dark cloud lol.

:(

i think this one is closer than the integra forum is...so im opening it back up :)

And im willing to bet your uncle's 2 and a half ton pickup with 450hp is not beating my 240hp s2000. Those hillbillys with chips think they are bad ass...until i keep pulling away...they think just because they can beat a stock mustang GT that they can beat a well tuned NA honda.

A straight H22 EG hatch 4k+Price of the car...vs 35k truck...think about it.

Last edited:
Peak HP numbers are nothing...seriously. Take a second and consider a few factors here:

1. Power-to-Weight ratios
2. Gearing
3. Driver skill/ability

Hondas have always been known for their reliability and performance potential. If you have to even ask that question, you clearly have not been "living and breathing" Honda's for long...

Honda's are "entry-level" cars, which some happen to be able to beat higher-end cars. What makes them very nice is they handle very well and respond well to mods. A 170whp D-series EF is pretty quick through a road course ;)

Last edited:
ya i traded my integra off this past august for a 02Z28 camaro, i got tired of the honda game myself and wanted to try something different.

I could have kept my Integra and made it fast but it was falling apart and costing me more money then it was worth.

The ONLY mods my camaro has is a RPM5 cam, FLP long tubes, ported TB and a centerforce clutch, and i threw down 390hp/380TQ on the dyno.

But i also have a buddy with a 99integra has ALOT of work done to it, fully gutted, says he put down 193TQ to the ground. Well we ran one night and he was on a 75shot he only managed to stay right next to me pretty much the whole time.

His car weighed prolly 2400 ( i dont really know) and my car weighs in at about 3500.

Its all really in WHAT YOU WANT.

Not for nothing, Honda is somewhat of a "lifestyle" now. I take pride in my car(s), especially when I put a lot of wrench time and money into them. As for supras, ive raced many of them and to be honest with you, they all got their shitter's busted open from my hatch. I'm not trying to be cocky, but its the truth. I lost ONE race in that car, and it was for $400. 78 camaro on the bottle, street tire, automatic. I was on full slick, 22psi, c12 race gas. He was on DR's, not even slicks and he was a dead hook out of the hole. I caught him but he still beat me by a car length or so. That was an easy 9 second car on a full tire.

The supra's ive raced were not slouches, they were fast cars. Your talking 500+ hp supras from breed and E-shift. But from a roll, my hatch was just about untouchable at the time. Plus its a really good feeling when today's form of "muscle cars" line up next to you at the track and laugh before they go through the bleach box... Yet you cross the trap's 2 second's ahead of them and they have this funny look on their face... I LOVE IT! :D

Also, a lot of the 80s/90s Hondas have double-wishbone suspensions, which a lot of other econo-minded cars don't have. That, and the power-to-weight ratio factor. Yeah, your uncle's truck or a Mustang GT may have gobs of horsepower, but how much does it weigh compared to a Civic hatchback?

this conversation goes on all the time...

here's the thing. fast honda's are rare. when you see one, you know someone put in a lot of TLC. Fast Camaros, TAs, and Mustangs are not rare. They are easily attained by those with very little cash. My next car is going to be an 80s TA (after i supercharge the S). Im going to keep the S2K and just play with the TA.

I dont think anyone here is going to disagree thats its easier and most of the time cheaper to make a v8 fast(er than a honda). Its just a culture and a machine you love. Thats what makes it different. I think its the same for the V8 guys. They dont like the imports...so they hate on em like they cant be as good. Honda guys dont like V8s cause most look like a body builder on steroids.....they have no soul. Its an argument that will never end.

I agree... But around here, there seem's to be a growing pace of actually "fast" honda's. A few years ago, there were only a handful in the state. Now everyone wants to be fast instead of flashy. I seen a P.O.S. hatch all rusted, hub caps and all...with a built itr, 2.0L in it.

yeah, that was like the kid at the track with his H23 Euro R EG. He was being a normal ricer...until he backed it up. And then he told me he was running it on a virgin P28....i of course had "the talk with him". But it was really quick for still running on the civic ECU.

I agree... But around here, there seem's to be a growing pace of actually "fast" honda's. A few years ago, there were only a handful in the state. Now everyone wants to be fast instead of flashy. I seen a P.O.S. hatch all rusted, hub caps and all...with a built itr, 2.0L in it.
I agree with that. In high school there were maybe 3 truly fast cars in the parking lot. Imports and domestics. Now a few years later my friend who had an all flash Accord has a beefed up WRX, my friend who had a base model auto RSX turned that thing into a 300hp turbo manual RSX, and my other friend with a flash Mitsu blew that up with a turbo and now has a fast GTI. My point is that with an actual good job(more cash) and time all my friends built faster, smarter cars and gained experience about it all. A good portion of the "Fast and the Furious kids" have realized a lot and have more knowledge about the import scene now.

I agree with that. In high school there were maybe 3 truly fast cars in the parking lot. Imports and domestics. Now a few years later my friend who had an all flash Accord has a beefed up WRX, my friend who had a base model auto RSX turned that thing into a 300hp turbo manual RSX, and my other friend with a flash Mitsu blew that up with a turbo and now has a fast GTI. My point is that with an actual good job(more cash) and time all my friends built faster, smarter cars and gained experience about it all. A good portion of the "Fast and the Furious kids" have realized a lot and have more knowledge about the import scene now.

yup...just waiting for the younger generation to realize it was only a movie...then maybe we'll be okay.

There are TWO eclipses around my neighborhood with the same paint color and decal scheme as the one in the Fast and The Furious. One is a GS, and one is an oil consuming GS-T. Both junk, but I was impressed by the interior on the GS-T, nice fiberglass work.

my dad street raced a 66 chevy wagonair in his high school days. 558 hp 125 shot of nitrous in a 387 small block and alot a building a tuning. when he started to go fast everyone wanted to know what he was running he hid the nitrous plate with some silver spray paint and hid the bottle underneath the benceh seat in the back. people thought he ran all motor for the longest time some people found the lines some didn't. that 4000lbs beast ran a 12.9 at 108. its all about the builder and what you got. and tune tune tune.... and have fun with it thats probally all that guy was doing.

that movie was the shit for the longest time. now i realized that its gay and overrated haha. and yeah my car is never going to look like that! haha

Its all about what you what. I own an 80 T/A, and a '98 civic. I love each of these cars for different reasons. Buy what you want and love what you got. that is how the aftermarket world goes.

Back