Why?....Why? Honda....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Theres hundreds of reasons people drive them, and everyone here guessed one reason.

I got into hondas because my `92 hatch could have a stereo in the trunk and not have it enclosed from the rest of a car. I heard they were reliable and good on gas. I bought a crx because it was more sporty and I thought I could get a little more out of it with a swap. Then I got rid of the civic, bought a nissan and kept the crx. The civic and nissan had no more or less problems than the american cars we had. The crx was swapped to a dohc zc.

I got out of hondas mainly because the line of work I'm in is supported largely by the american auto industry, one of my first jobs was at a delphi plant. My fiance bought a g6 which turned out to be a good car. And the subsequent jobs each had a fleet of domestics driving now well into the 200k miles, a couple even longer. So basically I just don't think they are that much better anymore.

I think its the same for the V8 guys. They dont like the imports...so they hate on em like they cant be as good. Honda guys dont like V8s cause most look like a body builder on steroids.....they have no soul. Its an argument that will never end.

This is such a stupid thing to say anymore, I may be a minority in saying this but most of my good friends are die-hard domestic guys or other people who don't own hondas, for one reason or another. I don't have any kind of an "I hate v8's, my honda rules all", kind of attitude...if those guys realize that, and you are respectful of their machines, they aren't going to have a reason to be negative towards you...and if they are, have some fun with it! I bash on hondas all the time just to get a laugh out of the crowd, and normally I go by "hondafrk" on the forums, lol.

I have very few friends that drive hondas just because of this attitude that a lot of them have....they think that everyone is looking down on them so they in turn act like they have to be badasses and bash on everyone else or think that they drive god's gift to cars...news flash!!! Hondas are not the only good make of vehicle made!

There's no reason to go on forever and ever with the import vs. domestic thing, co-exist! Its much more pleasant that way.

/end rant

Same here, most of my friends are V8 guys. One of them switched to a Honda only because it was cheaper for him.

im not saying that everyone is like that, but there are still a lot of people at the track that sigh every time they see an import hit the strip. I love V8s as well, but it doesnt change the fact that me having 2 hondas makes me "one of them". The generalization (especially around people 30+) is that honda's are for kids, v8s are for men...id just like to prove people that our cars can be just as fast. Saddly, the good honda's dont make it out to the track i usually go to.

Im rambling now, but the jist is...I understand that my above generalization isnt always true. Ive met really cool non-judgmental people from both camps, but more often than not, my above statement is true...at least in tx.

bare chest boy... err Reiko's posts have pretty much hit the nail on the head for my feelings on imports vs domestics. Although I enjoy a well built GM or Ford V8, it's just overdone. ford guys constantly reminded me when I used to go to Mustang sites that my car isn't fast, well duh. I just kept reminding them that any dumbass with a little money can make a V8 fast.

But in the end, to each their own. I love my car and it's little problems and quirks. I've owned this thing for 4 years and this engine has been astounding. Not one failure of any part (well aside from the o2 sensor... twice), and I've abused it pretty hard.

In all honesty, the whole import vs domestic thing is bullshit. It drives me nuts when I go to the track and I have a bunch of people making fun of my time. Sure, my car runs a friggin 14.8, which is by no means fast.

I tell them I drive a Honda because I like it. I dont give a shit if they do. Plus, gas prices sure as fuck arent going downward. Last time I checked, V8s didnt get 45 mpg on the freeway and 36 in the city. :)

The import vs domestic is killer. Especially here being in TEXAS like in my autotech class in school. They're all into their muscle. They used to do nothing but bash my Honda and me for owning one calling me a ricer etc. even tho I showed respect towards their redneck trucks and laugh it off all the time because it means nothing to me. Then I asked them if they knew what a ricer really was. They said no. I asked them if they knew what a tuner was. They said no, what's the difference in a ricer and a tuner? I told them a ricer puts on a fart can and a bodykit and thinks they're the shit, willing to race anyone like this one big time ricer at my school, while a tuner doesn't bullshit with needless parts and knows how they're building their car and for what purpose and knows they're limits. It was funny everyone in my class was quiet after that and they all respect imports and domestics now and constantly ask me when the Civic's gonna be back at the shop and what's up with it.

But I DID have this arguement for the die-hard muscleheads: A Honda Civic with $8,000 spent could beat most muscle on the street.

$4,000 GSR swap
$2,000 pistons/rods/valvetrain/sleeves rest of engine build
$1,000 homemade turbo
$1,000 tuning

Voila, 500+hp to the wheels in a 2,000 pound car which pretty much equals any 4,000 pound muscle car with 1,000 hp to the ground. And that's on the cheap.

and your car does with a GSR motor? thats almost double OEM numbers isnt it?

It does with an LS.

Of course thats pussy footing it, but still. I fill up on gas like once every two to three weeks.

LOL $8 on premium 92 octane filled up half my tank. Not sure on the price of gas at the time but it wasn't exactly cheap. I LOVE not spending too much on gas makes it much easier on a highschooler ;). Gonna have to kiss that goodbye when I turbocharge next year tho :(.

O yea and what's pretty damned funny is that when I turbocharge my Civic it will actually be THE fastest vehicle at my school. The kids' rich parents don't trust them in anything truly fast I guess cause I know they can afford better than Mustangs. It's hilarious I didn't expect it til I scoped out the parking lot one day and just noticed "holy shit there's nothing faster than even a stock turbo d-series civic out here".

Not bragging but seriously I expected more, looks like I can't have any fun until I get closer to Corvette power then I can race the wealthier oldfolks and their stock vette's and 350z's at the track.

What about reliability?

How often do you rebuild a race bred B series compared to something like a chevy 350?

And somewhere, sometime, I am pretty sure I heard Honda's are engineered to a finer degree of precision. Like an extra decimal place or something? Anyone know?

I prefer the feel of a lighter car to that of a heavier car. I'm not saying all imports are light, but at least there's a better selection of powerful light imports than powerful light domestics. Drag racing is cool, some what fun, but I think circuit type racing is much more fun, and incorporates many more degrees of skill and engineering. Japanese roads are inhirently winding and curvy, unlike America's 'strips'. Research and development is geared tward their respective markets. At this current point in time, Japanese cars fit my driving style and budget better.

hmm i guess he got enough to not post again.

I spanked alot of cars with my crx. Integra's are nice but they are heavy for a N/A motor. Unless is heavily built. My 195ish lsvtec beat a turbo eclipse running high 12's on slicks. Beat him by a car. Also ran a duramax diesal with chip and exhaust. its all in the weight. The lighter the car the deadlier the engine.

Stick with your camaro. you'll spend more time changing those spark plugs than actually racing it. Not only that. If we raced you woud have felt pretty shitty knowing that after the race you had to fill up and i could drive for another week. lol

Spanked on cars all day and still get 28 mpg. Vtec baby. thats what its for.

Peak HP numbers are nothing...seriously. Take a second and consider a few factors here:

1. Power-to-Weight ratios
2. Gearing
3. Driver skill/ability

Hondas have always been known for their reliability and performance potential. If you have to even ask that question, you clearly have not been "living and breathing" Honda's for long...

Amen, numbers are nothing if you can´t drive. I´ve beaten drivers in cars that have every right to laugh at my stock xB. There is nothing more i love than trouncing some red blooded hillbilly with my little "rice burner" in his overcompensation machine... Especially being a four cylinder, ahh it makes me laugh... Anyway i digress...

I like Hondas for several reasons:

The adventure of tinkering around under a hood to make a seemingly inocuous car do things that make me happy, see above statment...

INTERCHANGABLE PARTS

Superior quality factory peices. I have a family and i like to work on sports cars. I refuse to pay 80,000 for a single high performance machine. Mostly cause i could have like ten modified hondas and a couple scions that could hang with some big boys...

Large user base and excellent aftermarket support.

Time proven. As Mike Kojima once said something to the effect that the honda formulas are pretty much set in stone. This makes it easy for a hobby mechanic like me to dial up the right combo and get to work without a lot of costly experimentation.

Durability. My integra has 192k miles on it and has been owned by two goofball teenagers with spray cans (red then yellow) and a pile of machine screws. Despite the rampant abuse i can open the door, sit in the car, step on the clutch, turn the key and the engine starts up without a cough.

Lastly it goes vroom, i built it, and it makes me happy...

What more need there be?

All i gotta say is that its not easy to find a car that makes a hundred horsepower per litre( b16, gsr, type r is more) factory rated for the price. What did a 5.0 mustang make off the factory floor 250, type r is 1.8 litre and was rated at 210 and gets 25mpg.

Back