why wont my car start? bad ground?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Taco15

I wear stretchy pants
update!!!! its alive!

turns out i had a like new battery in the back of my other crx. I never cheacked the entire thing since i parked it. Any way i put it on the charger to be safe. put it on the car and pop! no more. Nothng at all. So i checked fuses again and finally wiggled the )-) terminal and the lights and door noise came on. Nothing new since its gona pop again right? wrong! it fired so fast. I hope its just battery and not the altrernator. I unplugged it while still running and it stayed on so hopefully its good till i take the motor out. man tihgs are looking better. Formby is helping me buy supplying the mounts and now my mom has a ride. till they get here. woot woot!!!!!!!! I guess it was a bad ground and battery working together. no turn cuz the bad ground and no juice cuz the battery.

alright. I'm sick and tired of this POS:mad::mad::mad::mad:
things i have tried...........
- relocated ground from the fuel pump ground to further back where the car jack holes are
- tried jump starting it
- checked the starter coneections
- check fuses
-checked all grounds
-

I cant get the damn thig to start anymore. I go to turn the key and it sounds like it has no ground. It started happening in small doses awhile back. It would not start the first or second time and then do just fine. Now ever since i wired the tach it got worse.

when i finished wiring the tach the first time it did the same thing. I said:huh: i wonder WTH. well turns out the fuse blew under the hood AND under the dash. I disconnect the tach again since it was acting funny with the illumination. I changed the the fuses and boom fired right up. I hook up the tach again and it didnt start. I was getting pissed. How can something so simple be so confusing? Anyway I disconnect the tach AGAIN and look for blown fuses.......none! I sit around wondering and disconnecting the entire tach. FINALLY after about 5 minutes it turns over but in a weird low battery kind of way. I keep it turned until it fires up and i connect the tach WHILE the car is running. The tach works so i shut the car off till i connect the (+) and (-) in a secure place. Once its all wired up i go to turn it on again....and again it doesnt fire up. I call it quits and go to bed.
The next morning i go to fire it up and boom fires right up.

Hadnt had any trouble since. Since then i took the Throttle Pully to compare with a LS TP. which by the way i now have a tps code ever since. Until 2 nights ago it was fine. NOW at cold starts it just wont stay on. then it idles at about 1g. I already set the idle. Anyway 2 days ago at night i drive it to a friends house 1minute away. I shut it off and turn it back on to show my buddy the tach. Once it fires up it hesitates to stay on. I knew something bad was going to happen:confused:

Now after being parked for 2 days since then it wont turn over.:mad::mad:

:cliffs:

have tps code
car wont turn at all
when ''ON'' it hesitates at idle till warm up

I WANT TO BEAT IT TO DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
dont hate me for suggesting it, but i had a similar problem, and i replaced the alternator when the problem was just a dirty battery terminal. Sometimes there is JUST enough charge to get you started. if you havent done it already, clean the leads and the terminals.

already did it. I got happy when it tried to start. So i figured the neg. terminal since it had corrosion was bad. I dont know about the alternator though. Back when my axles were spilling grease it did get on the alternator.

have you hooked the battery up to a tester to see what the % is. Thats how i knew it was not my alternator (after i finished the job). My battery was a truck battery and it was at 75%. That should have been more than enough to crank up my car.

naww i dont have a tester anymore. Lent my only digital multimeter to a friend and he moved away shortly after....fucker. I have a 'eye' on the battery. Its not glowing green so i'm thinking thats it. then again that doesnt explain the cranking''sometimes'' unless it is the alternator not giving out a charge anymore. i'll try to take it out tomm. and have it check at autozone down the street.

man if i could afford some mounts i would put that lsvtec in my other rex asap!!!!!!! i'm tired of dealing with these wiring nightmares.

alright i checked the ecu pins to if MAYBE one slipped or just got pinched somehow. I founf the yellowish pin that controls the alternator to be cut. I mean cut as in its never been hooked up in i'm guessing six months. The reference section says its the alternator pin for every model except jdm sir. That was the oil presure pin. How the hell can this be? I still dont get anythign but a click.

Last edited:
i tried jumping it directly to the starter. All it does is pop and no more juice until i disconnect and reconnect seconds later. now i'm thinking there is a short somewhere.

I had the same type of problem, check the safety switch interlock end stops. On the pedals there are rubber plugs that dry up, crack and fall out, if the clutch one goes, no starter, if the brake one goes, the brake lights stay on and battery dies.

+2 for battery and abel i'm sending the ecu back to you i'm parting the rex.... pm me if you need something

thanks guys. ijust got back from autozone. The battery is bad. though is have a suspicion something killed it. that doesnt explain why the car popped when i tried jump starting it. I'm taking the alternator off shortly to check that also.

Formby lmk what you've got that ican use from your rex. you can keep the ecu if we can get a trade going. I would like bigger injectors and other fuel upgrades. accessories would be nice also. LMK man.

Back