Why wouldn't you buy a 3000GT VR4?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hello,
I'm almost ready to sell my civic and buy a new car. I've been throwing around a couple idea's, but narrowed it down to two.

A. Turbocharged Integra GSR

-or-

B. Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4

the other idea's I was throwing around was a Nissan 240sx w/ an sr20det swap, or another civic and b18 swap.

basically what im looking for out of my car is a daily driver thats going to beat mustangs. And not the pussy v6 mustangs, i mean more like the 1999 Mustang GT 4.6L with like 35 more ft/lbs of tourque then the 5.0.... or something like that? I think you know what I'm talking about... it would also be nice to beat some corvette's possibly? Im not too familiar with corvette's though...

i have around 10,000 grand for this project... let me know what you guys think!

thank guys!

the VR4 is a pretty badass car
turbo
AWD

only thing i dont like about it is the size... its pretty big

but its a badass car with lots of potential

Ya, the 3000GT's are one heavy car.

I dont think you can get a good turbo GSR for $10,000. Maybe salvage title if you wanna mess with it.

definatly go with the 240 , look into it alot and drop in a RB25det , then you will be happy :D , but the VR4's are badass too

A VR-4 is a great way to get a turbo AWD car (albeit heavy as fuck) without having to go through a swap process and the maintenance required with said swap.

buy an already swapped sr20/rb25 240 off ebay. you can get a silvia for like 10k or so...and there was an rb25'd 240 that sold for like $12k a few months ago...

ebaymotors >>>>> j00!

whatever happened to the whole '>>>' thing anywyas?

Well, at the end of the day, you really need to look at what you ant to ride in. Not only is the VR-4 a great performer, it is also a great all-around car. Comfy seats, good suspension from the factory. It is a tank, but it's a tank with nice interior and looks awesome to boot.

Now, as far as 240 w/ SR or RB in it, you are starting with a cheap sports coupe. Their interiors are terrible and in order to look good you really need to get rid of those shitty pop-up headlamps. You will also need to refreshen suspension components. My stock VX seats are also more laterally supportive than those god-awful 240 stockers. It depends on what you ant and how much work you wanna put into it. Either way, you'll have a phuckin bad car! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by josh_isakson@Feb 19 2004, 08:50 PM
Which ones are capable of beating the fast mustangs? any capable of beating corvette's or camaro ss's?

Thanks guys

the Vr4 3.0 Liter Twin Turbocharged Gas
Front Engine / AWD
24-Valve DOHC
CYLINDERS 6
displacement 2,972 cc
HP 320 @ 6000 RPM :thumbsup:
TORQUE 215 @ 2500 RPM :thumbsup:
RED LINE7000 RPM
Curb Weight 3,737 lbs. :ph34r:
quarter mile 13.9 s @ 98 mph
top speed 160 mph
Ecomomy 18 MPG City / 24 MPG Highway :shrug2:
0-60 5.5's

Originally posted by SolLess16@Feb 19 2004, 06:51 PM
definatly go with the 240 , look into it alot and drop in a RB25det , then you will be happy :D , but the VR4's are badass too

Expect to spend 10K on wiring that hard to find skyline motor in . . .

But it would be sick.

Just go with the S13 or S14 depending on what year 240 you buy.

VR4 + turbo/fuel upgrade >>>>>> 240sx

IMO

i love the vr4, but ive heard maintanance on it is a bitch. maybe you could buy dodge stealth parts? :lol:

my vote is for a s14 of some sort, with an sr20det.

I thought about buying one myself but bottom line Twinturbo cost you out the ass to replace

Thats also one of the reasons I did not buy an S4

if you find a stock VR4 with low miles and don't mind the extra care of having turbos then go for it

I bought the 350Z so I would not have to give a damn about anything just today I stoped by the dealership becuase one body piece was not fitting the way I think it should so next wed they are going to fix it or replace it for free =) when I say body piece its an added "dealer option" so nothing major but still enough for me to want it fixed

call me lazy or maybe just getting older but having a bumper to bumper warrenty rocks!

buying a Turbo honda will be nothing but a PITA chances are it wont be built right and you will either blow it up or have tons of problems down the road either way it will be a handful to keep up with even having one built right it takes tons of time
I spent 10 mins a week doing things to my civic to keep it running right from checking engine mount bolts to adding oil also making sure the oil return line was tight as with all the vac lines... pain in the butt!

a swaped 240 would also be a pain unless you know it was done right tons of people do hack jobs when they swap motors you will also have to worry about passing inspection and smog....

RB25 240.... hahahahhaha I would love one but good luck finding one worth while
I've found many skylines for 10K to bad you can't get them street legal read the writing

IT IS UP TO BUYER TO GET CAR STREET LEGAL =) good luck

bottom line the VR4 is a great car other then the cost of upkeep

if you're interested in autox or anything that involves turning you'll need heavy upgrades to the VR4's suspension...whereas the 240 is better suited for that.
as a daily driver though, VR4 >>> 240
and yes, finding parts for the VR4/stealth AWD will be a bitch i bet

Originally posted by Cashizslick+Feb 19 2004, 09:59 PM-->
SolLess16
@Feb 19 2004, 06:51 PM

Expect to spend 10K on wiring that hard to find skyline motor in . . .

i bought my RB20DET full engine and tranny and wire harness for 1100 , not 10,000. If your good with wireing then ur good to go :D

They are expensive to mod, high insurance, and they weigh 2 tons.... too many cons for me... I was gonna buy one but i looked into them and found they arent that impressive...

VR-4 = heaviest of the twin turbo cars

It's not that hard to find a car that will beat mustangs and vettes.
If I were you, I'd buy a 91-95 Toyota MR2 and save for a JDM
3SGTE:
1998cc (DOHC Turbo)
Horsepower: 245hp@6000rpm
Torque: 225lbs-ft@4000rpm
Compression: 8.5:1
Bore: 86mm
Stroke: 86mm
Redline: 8000rpm

only $1,849.00 at www.totaljdm.com.
afterwards you can look into upgrading engine components. You can easily find a nice looking MR2 in good condition for lower than $5,000 on autotrader.com + the cost of the JDM 3SGTE still won't come out to $10,000. I would assume you should be able to beat mustangs and vettes with just the new motor except for Z06's and the new cobras. but that's what I would do if I were you.

Originally posted by Cashizslick@Feb 19 2004, 10:59 PM
Just go with the S13 or S14 depending on what year 240 you buy.

s13 and s14 are chassis codes, not engine codes. It is like EG and EK. The only way to put an s13 into and s14 is if you open up the trunk on a 91 or so 240sx, and have a 96 or so 240 ram it in the ass going 90. Then you have an s1314 conversion with very little effort. :)

Back