Why you dont put remote start on MTs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

These remote starting devices must be properly installed and certified, as it can miam or kill someone. Luckily the wall and gate isn't somebody's legs, child or pet.

thats what ive been saying
the shop that put that in is most likely at fault
they either put the wrong kind of remote start in the car
or they installed it incorrectly
or the unit itself was defective

they make remote starters for manual transmission cars that have safe guards to prevent something like this from happening
if that type of remote starter was not used, the shop is at fault
if that type was used and not properly installed, the shop is at fault
if that type was used and installed correctly, then the unit is faulty, and the manufacturer is at fault

fuck a homeowners insurance claim
either the shop that put it in, or the manufacturer should be paying for this

If he asked for the unit, even if it didn't have sensors for a MT, the blame should be on him not the shop that installed what he asked - take personal responsibility for mistakes. As in if he asked for the cheaper unit to be installed and knew this was a repercussion then too bad.

If he asked for a MT unit that had sensors and it didn't work properly then its not his fault and he should try to sue.

As for the issue of not leaving the car in gear, why the heck would you leave it in neutral? My uncle always used to bitch to my dad about him not leaving the car in gear and my dad never listened until his car rolled down the hill once - now he listens. My mom and sister still don't leave the car in gear but they don't know any better and are klutzes, anyway.

I leave the car in first, ALWAYS, just in case the worst should happen. No one should be driving my car anyway, because shit its my car and if they don't know well enough to check if a MT is in gear before they start it then they have no right in driving a MT car IMO.

i always leave my car in gear. makes it harder to steal via tow...

but anyway, yeah...

he got the wrong remote starter.

the ones for manual tranny's require you to do a sequence to activate the remote start capability.

its something like this:

pull into parking spot.
open door.
pull up ebrake
set shifter in neutral
turn off car.

basically, the door open (via the dome light switch) and the ebrake movement (via the parking brake light) sends a signal to the RS's brain and activates it.
if you don't do this or a similar sequence, it won't arm the brain, and trying to remote start it will do nothing.

if you DONT have one of these types of starters for a manual tranny car, the shop has broken the law, as it is illegal to install a RS on a manual car that doesn't have a check sequence.

Quoted post[/post]]
if you DONT have one of these types of starters for a manual tranny car, the shop has broken the law, as it is illegal to install a RS on a manual car that doesn't have a check sequence.

^^^^^
EXACTLY!!!

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

^^^^^
EXACTLY!!!

:werd:

Most shops won't even touch this. Car Toys doesn't do MT's around here. It was probably installed by a non-shop person. I've installed a couple of these, and I would only do a manual for myself, with either a check sequence, or a switch that requires the e-brake to be pulled clear to the top. Most people won't pull the Ebrake that hard, and the ones that do, probably put the car in neutral. A neutral safety switch would also be a plus.

i've accidentally let the clutch out when the car was still in gear before and it just lurched and died. it didn't ever have that much force to smash bricks. he must not have had the ebrake on or anything like that.

odds are he installed it himself with an ebay kit or something. unless i missed the post where he said the shop it was from.

He had it done at a shop, but they just did the clutch bypass and nothing else. His mom moved the car and left it in gear w/o the ebrake. Since the clutch is engaged, the car moves forward when the starter is engaged.

haha,i would blame it all on my mom to. i knew the ebrake had to be off for it to jump like that.

i think the shop is liable. probably some mexicans who didn't give a shit. lol

As far as I'm concerned there are 2 kinds of mexicans. The kind that work for, take care of, and generally deserve what they have, and then there are the kind that belong back where they came from.

Quoted post[/post]]
i wonder what neonmike has to add to this post :wink:

yep had it happen to me but i put my remote starter in mine before they had ones with the saftey for manual cars. so ok i am an installer so i have no one to blame but myself when my car took off when i left it in gear. now as far as what b and e have said they are both correct, if the shop just bypassed the clutch switch that is very highly illegal. basically he could now own said shop over this incident. if he had one for a manual car installed then that company is fully responsible for all damages because there product failed, the remote starters for manual cars a dummy proof, a blind monkey could not screw up usin one of those. so i would tell this kid to bring his car to a shop other than the one that installed it and check to see if it was in fact one for a manual car or one for a automatic car. even if the kid said oh i dont care that it is for an automatic just put it in the shop that did it is still liable because they in fact broke the law and did it knowing the consequences of it being installed wrong.

and on a side note, if you put an improper remote starter in a manual car it is not a matter of if you will start it and leave it in gear it is a matter of when.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

yep had it happen to me but i put my remote starter in mine before they had ones with the saftey for manual cars. so ok i am an installer so i have no one to blame but myself when my car took off when i left it in gear. now as far as what b and e have said they are both correct, if the shop just bypassed the clutch switch that is very highly illegal. basically he could now own said shop over this incident. if he had one for a manual car installed then that company is fully responsible for all damages because there product failed, the remote starters for manual cars a dummy proof, a blind monkey could not screw up usin one of those. so i would tell this kid to bring his car to a shop other than the one that installed it and check to see if it was in fact one for a manual car or one for a automatic car. even if the kid said oh i dont care that it is for an automatic just put it in the shop that did it is still liable because they in fact broke the law and did it knowing the consequences of it being installed wrong.

and on a side note, if you put an improper remote starter in a manual car it is not a matter of if you will start it and leave it in gear it is a matter of when.

hehe not when for me
In order for me to run my turbo timer it must have the ebrake handle pulled and car in nuetral. I always run my turbo timer before getting out of my car, & I am the only one who drives my car. My wife, my mom , my dad , & my brother do not know how to drive any thing but auto! Ive had my cheapy autopage 712's installed on all my cars with not problems .. :mrgreen:

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

hehe not when for me
In order for me to run my turbo timer it must have the ebrake handle pulled and car in nuetral. I always run my turbo timer before getting out of my car, & I am the only one who drives my car. My wife, my mom , my dad , & my brother do not know how to drive any thing but auto! Ive had my cheapy autopage 712's installed on all my cars with not problems .. :mrgreen:

ok buddy you have the answer for everything, like i said not if...................when. dont care how long u have had it for you will start it in gear and watch it drive away one day.

Back