Wideband O2 Sensor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

[Freemantle]

What Wideband O2 system would you use or are you using? Comments on wiring, display, extas and such would be apprieciated. Anything from the basic Bosch sensor to the AEM UEGO kit. I understand that this isn't the cheapie $50 Autometer laser effects, but throw prices at me if you can.

-Nate

Brian, does that lambda meter setup use the same o2 sensor that the motoc system uses? I heard that you are aren't supposed to run the o2 sensor for anything but tuning session(It will burn up quick if you do :shrug2: ), and then you just plug in the regular o2 sensor for regular driving. Looks like you found a good deal...

http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Library/WideBandO2 - mainly PHiZ's comments, but wise words.

I have a PLX M300 and a Techedge 2.0. I don't have anything positive to say about the techedge other than it is cheap. I like my PLX a lot - it's simple in design, simple to install and aesthetically pleasing (i.e. small). It doesn't have any of the logging bs other units have, but I can feed it's signal to the ECU and datalog it. I got it for $300 shipped w/ sensor from Forced-air.com I think... Several friends have the Innovate wideband and have mixed things to say about it. The datalogging appears to be marginal at best, and many people are having a real hard time getting the RPM logger and various other add-ons to work at all. I don't buy into the whole adaptive calibration bullshit when you can get the Bosch LSU4 sensors for $35 shipped - I have 3 or 4 of them now. Plus the Innovate is bulky and ugly...

I would insist you get a LSU4 sensor unit (PLX M250/M300/M500, Innovate, Techedge 2.0, AEM) as opposed to a L1H1 unit (PLX M200,M450, Techedge 1.x, etc.) because the sensors are so much cheaper. All of the LSU4 units work very well, and which one is more a matter of what extra features you need, which you can get cheapest and which appeals to you on another level. Technically, they're all excellent.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jun 16 2004, 01:07 AM
Brian, does that lambda meter setup use the same o2 sensor that the motoc system uses? I heard that you are aren't supposed to run the o2 sensor for anything but tuning session(It will burn up quick if you do :shrug2: ), and then you just plug in the regular o2 sensor for regular driving. Looks like you found a good deal...

a wideband is a wide band is a wide band o2. if it comes in the motec- it comes in the motec. its just an o2 sensor that operates on a wider voltage range than a narrow band.

yes, it will die over time... but replacements are, as blundar pointed out, cheaper if you go with a certain brand over another, and are about $40-80 depending on brand of generic wideband.

it's NOT ment to replace the stock o2. the computer still needs that.

you would weld another bung into your downpipe for the addition of a wideband.

wrong mike.
The PLX units have a very good narrowband output. I ran this to the narrowband input on my ECU and ran the wideband full time. Bosch LSU4 sensors are $35 brand new. That's cheaper than a 4wire from autozone around here.

im not mike- but ok :D

so, those plx have a narrow band circuit built into it? i wasn't aware of that. everyone i know with one is running it how i said above, 2 bungs, 2 o2s, narrow to the ecu- wide the gauge/tuning device.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 16 2004, 07:47 PM
im not mike- but ok :D

so, those plx have a narrow band circuit built into it? i wasn't aware of that. everyone i know with one is running it how i said above, 2 bungs, 2 o2s, narrow to the ecu- wide the gauge/tuning device.

That's the easy way to run it, and you can remove it so it doesn't die as fast. You can also run it through capacitors so the ECU reads narrowband, and the read gets the true wideband signal. I am so lazy, I don't feel like removing my header and installing a second o2 bung or else I could have a review for you also, mine PLX M300 is sitting in my car next to my cam gears :(

you don't have to remove it... jack up the car, and cut and weld the bung in on the side... give it some gas, and get all the metal shavings out the muffler :D

Back