Wideband O2?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

P7ank5te7

Ok. Time for the next toy, before I spend the money for an ecu parts, I want to get a Wide Band O2 sensor. Now here comes the question, I've read that you can hook it directly to the ECU and use it just like the normal Narrow Band O2. So is this true, or do I need something to convert it to make it work, and if it can run stand alone, are there any O2's you all recommend? -Gary

you can go with a air/fuel that is a two wire but there not accurate at all
my suggesten would to be get the aem wide band air/fuel meter it has it's own o2 sensor that reads directly what your air fuel mix is at
a must if you plan on tunning correctly

Well, I do plan on correctly tuning the system, I just remember reading that you could get a Wide band 5 wire(w/ linear and non-linear outputs) and use the linear(correct me if I'm wrong) and use that for the ecu, then use the other for gauge. I also heard it will help with economy and idle since its not searching and ranging between lean and rich so much. Is that make sense? -Gary

some wideband o2's have a narrow band simulator circuit that you can plug in to the stock ecu.

Honestly, your best bet is to drill out, weld a new bung, and put the wideband in the 2nd hole, and use it for tuning purposes only. then, plug it with a bung plug when you're done.

i use the PLX m300 system. it has a build in display. also i wired up a switch in the car so i can switch between the WB and NB signal. but i pretty much just leave the WB signal on all the time. i did it originally for a quick way to switch between tuning and stret driving but my car doesnt see much of that so i dont really use it.

also make sure that when you are tuning you setup the ROM so that it knows you are datalogging through the ECU for the WB signal. if not it will expect a 0-1V signal and get a 0-5V signal which could mess up the ECU.

Ahh.. ECU and messed up in the same sentence is not a good feeling ;) haha. I didn't think of that, being a problem. I'm good on the extra bung, because my header I bought has one in the header then one down at the collector so I should be ok there. I think unless someone thinks otherwise. Ive also read to use only when tuning, because the price on them. I was just thinking about getting the sensor but with out a gauge, or any way of data logging right now, theres no use in just a standalone sensor. I did find on egay the AEM kit(part # 30-4100) for like 250 then shipping. Is that a decent price? We all know how that works tho with ebay, Its good for somethings but not others. haha -Gary

innovatives lc1 has two outlets one which simulates a narrow band and one that is 0 to 5v for wide band gauge both which are fully programable

Back