Wierd graphic/performance prob

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reikoshea

HS Troll...And Mod
VIP
Well this thing has me STUMPED.

I lost my power cord for my laptop so i am forced to use my actual computer. Usually this is not too big of problem cause the setup is pretty good...but now its runnin wierd. Its like the computer is struggling to keep up with me. The setup is not THAT bad, so i do not know what it's problem is. It WILL NOT load HL2 or CS, but it will load the updater for both games. The graphics response is EXTREMELY SLOW. When i minimize a screen i actually see the page 'fall' down the screen before it minimizes. I have a 400MHz Celeron at work that is better than this thing i am using right now. I know it isnt the setup cause i have been using it for over a year.

Windows XP Pro SP2
2.8GHz P4 (Prescott)
Socket 478 board with SIS655 Chipset
1GB single channel RAM (sticks are different)
ATI 9800 Pro 128 MB

Now i went through all the normal stuff. I removed a stick of RAM to see if that was the problem, and no increase or decrease in performance. Then i thought the processor might be getting too hot so i stuck the zalman 7000 cooler with some arctic silver...no go.

I replaced the graphics card with a 9600XT i had in another computer...still no go.

Im really stumped. I dont think its the north bridge, and i really cant replace it till friday. By that time I will have my power cord back for my laptop.

Anyone have any suggestions?

is there anything thats sucking up your cpu usage? maybe there's bad memory on your computer. running a disk clean up, and a disk derfrag might help. also maybe try to consider adware or spyware that crept up into the computer. dowload spybot off of zdnet.com and run it.

hadnt checked for spyware...got a test running right now...i dunno why i didnt think of that...

Quoted post[/post]]
hadnt checked for spyware...got a test running right now...i dunno why i didnt think of that...
i feel you playboy, shit my laptop was rinnung shit poor one day. turn out after i got done downloading a program that atually gets ris of spyware, i download like 3000 ZIP files of nothing but spyware and adware, next thing u know when i reboot my computer, i have like 8 search toolbars above my start menu, lol.

still not helping. i really think it is a problem with the graphics card. i just reset to VGA settings and it runs perfect...just not at 32bit graphics.

Quoted post[/post]]
still not helping. i really think it is a problem with the graphics card. i just reset to VGA settings and it runs perfect...just not at 32bit graphics.
shit it guess calling the manufacturer or a teck support is the best bet for the probs with the 32 bit. im sure you'll find a way.

GOT IT!!! WOOT...two days of work, and i didnt catch something sooo simple.

Okay...if you need drivers for ATI or nVidia update through windows update. HEHE...i got them off ATIs site like 10 times and then i used the omega drivers, but nothing ever worked.

Windows update got me up to OpenGL 2.0 support and now all my stuff runs better. I dunno what was up with the 5.9 catalyst I DLed, but everything is good now.

Werd. My brother got a GeForce 6600GT when he upgraded his box, and I'm pretty impressed with the performance to dollar ratio.

Does Nvidia still support video-in? Like, could I potentially plug my OG PSX into the video-in port and rock a PSX game in a video window through the PC?

nope, but i have a video input card as well...so no biggie for me.

Back