Wikedeye's EJ b16 build thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm flattered. haha! To me it wasn't making fun of it, but rather using it in a creative way. haha I'd love to be Conan the Hondarian instead of just Luis. It has more pinache than my name does.

So its been a few days and I havent been able to start pulling the engine yet, but I have cleaned it off really well and started to take inventory of the usable parts. I have a few question though. Are the mounts used in a 98 the same ones that I need or will there be differences. I know I need b series mounts, but I dont know if it is the same for the 98. Also I should be able to use the same axles right. I have looked at the swap articles here and on honda-tech to compare what is needed for each car. I just want to be sure.

I believe all you need to do is change the transmission mount and you will be ready to go. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

That is something that I do not know, but if you give me some time, I can find out for you. :D

Here is an update...I just bought an engine stand yesterday and I am going to by a hoist tomorrow so I should have the engine out by this weekend. I went through and drained the fluids today and started to pull off some parts to get it ready. There was some water in the oil when I drained it, not much but a little (should I be worried?). I figured I would look in the head to see what she looks like on the inside. Here are some pics.
P1010007.jpg

P1010006-1.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010009.jpg

Here is the chipped and cracked power steering pulley
P1010011.jpg

And the bolt that was holding it in (just one)
P1010012.jpg

This may be a dumb question, but what is this. It looks like a resevoir for coolant , but I am not sure.
P1010014.jpg

wow that looks nasty as hell! It looks all sludged up by the way everything is stained black. I'd be concerned about water being in the oil. Might as will throw a new head gasket on there while its still easily accessible.

That looks like some sort of catch can to me, Conan. :dunno:

Thats what I was thinking luis, I just dont really know for sure.

Yeah it is pretty dirty, but I am going to rebuild it anyway so dirt isnt really an issue right now. As for the new gasket, dont worry that is all getting dealt with.

More pics this weekend when I get the engine out.

Pulled the engine out today. I am pretty tired, but I will get pics up tomorrow. First time pulling an engine and it went really well. The bitch pin only took 2-3 minutes, and very few cuss words.

Well here are some pics of the engine now that it is out. I am pretty proud of myself for successfully pulling my first engine. I threw in some pictures of the clutch and flywheel so everyone can see the shape they are in. Also there is a shot of the exhaust build up, its pretty thick. Now I am going to work on taking it apart. If anyone has any suggestions on how to keep all the bolts and parts organized I would really appreciate it. I am not the most organized person.

P1010001-1.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010002-4.jpg

P1010005-1.jpg

P1010006-2.jpg

P1010007-1.jpg

Nice job doing all that for the first time, Conan. I have seen people and I myself have done it as well, put the bolts in zip lock bags and label them that way. Or, you can just pray that the ones you put on top of your coffee table don't spill into the ones that you put in your shoes and the ones on the floor and that you remember where they all belong. :D I love run-on sentences.

I started using the ziplocks...It seems to be the easiest. I guess I could start by cleaning out my garage. That would probably help with the organization.

I would suggest since its your first time to organize and label everything. You're going to run into some weird issues along the way but its a fun ride, enjoy!

Yea I am just going slow and keeping everything in bags with labels. Its been really interesting so far, and I only see it getting better.

Just an update...I have stripped the ek of all the parts that I want to keep or sell. I put the front suspension back on minus the shocks. Rear is still up in the air. I should have the shell towed away by next week which will give me plenty of room to start tearing apart the engine. Things are going a bit faster than I anticipated.

subscribed!! keep going!

seems like a lot of people are painting their valve covers these days - I'm starting to get the itch....

Seeing the wrecked pics then the painted valve cover...it's like the Phoenix rising from the ashes. Beautiful.

Thanx for the comp. Things are going slow right now thats why the valve cover is the only thing to be updated. I need to get a crank pulley holder so I can finish tearing apart the engine.

Back