Wikedeye's EJ b16 build thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i feel ya man. economy sux right now. glad you getting back on your feet though.

Whoo Hoo I got the crank pulley bolt off. It took an 800lb torque wrench to get that bitch off. Well maybe now I can start making some progress and stop making worthless posts.

I know I havent been making much progress, but times are tough. Anyway I finished disassembling the block and I have some pictures to prove that I am still working. I hope some people are still following this thread because I have a couple of questions. First question being would honda have put one rod bearing cap on in the opposite direction from the other three (the lettering was facing the wrong direction) or is that a pretty good indicator that it has been rebuilt. Also I am having a hard time determining what main bearings I need. I know the numbers are on the crank, but I cant read all of them. I would just match the colors of the old bearings, but since I am not sure if this engine has ever been rebuilt I dont want to trust the colors. Here are some pics. Also I didnt get a picture of this, but the knock sensor seems messed up. There is a tiny wire soldered onto the front at two points. One point has come unsoldered. Should I replace the sensor or just re-solder the wire.

Here is the rod cap situation. See how the second and third rod caps are facing opposite directions.
PB230002.jpg

PB230005.jpg

PB230003.jpg

PB230004.jpg

Its hard to see, but maybe someone can help me figure out what sizes I need.
PB230007.jpg

Here is the code on the bottom of the block giving the main bearing letters
PB230006.jpg

Here is a picture of the sensor.
PB230003-1.jpg

Last edited:
I can't see the pictures and just feel like talking crap to you 'cause I like you, Conan. haha Still...:ban: :D

You'll want to store the cams and crank vertically.

Nice EG. That EJ brings me almost to tears. Nice clean EG.

EDIT:
That knock sensor is a lost cause. Just trash it and buy a new one. That's a good idea for all of the sensors too. Start fresh, so you don't inherit a problem.

Last edited:
The cams are flat is that not ok. The bolt that holds on the cam gear sticks out so they dont sit flat when I stand them up, but if you think they wont be ok then I will find a way to store them upright. Thanx for the compliment.

So does nobody have any ideas about telling which bearings I might need. I just cant read all the numbers.

Nice build thread mang, I feel ya on the job situation.

+Rep for a solid build.

Thanx I have made a lot of changes to the direction I am going, but it is working out pretty well, and I am happy with what I am building.

What did you use to clean the carbon off, Conan? Also, if you have the chance, will you please e-mail me the parts list along with prices. Thanks.

Oh yeah sorry. I have been a bit preoccupied lately. I used simple green for most of it, but I had to use carb cleaner on the pistons, just above the first ring lands because I couldnt use a wire brush there.

It works pretty damn well, and it wont eat your skin off.

Says the person who wasn't given a bottle of simple green and told to scrub all the baseboards of an entire large electronics store.

It will, it just takes longer than you think.

Well I just got a job in Atlanta so I have to move up there by the 4th of January. This is good because I can now begin my career and start to make some real money. It is bad however because I cant take my engine and all my tools with me (atleast for now). I was really hoping to be finished with the build buy February. Atlanta should have better options as far as machining and tuning which is very good. Anyway I guess this thread might be dead by the time I get to finish, but maybe not. We will just have to see how it goes.

damn man. Where are you keeping your stuff? its not like Atl is that far from you anyway right?

Back