my EJ Build: Take 2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

^^^ You're a smart man brother.

That's the approach I took on my hatch. Did all the suspension and chassis work first, then added the horsepower.

The only chassis mods left to do are the lower rear bar and I have that now, will install soon. And, a rear disc conversion. Did bearings, hubs, axels, polyurethane bushings, struts, brakes.

Oh, and after viewing your thread, the tranny and engine paint + flat black IM - motivated me to paint mine. :)

Last edited:
B16 has the money coil overs!

Im running custom valved progress coilovers which I love compared to my ground control / koni setup I had. I didnt have the higher end konis though to compare them too but Im happy with them for now and they were $1,300 with hyperco springs 500/800 which I think I will be swapping the front to 800 and the rear to 1100. These are non adjustable though, I found that with my single adjustable konis I was always fiddling with them and never just getting used to the car. The progress are set for the rate and work for me.

Sphericals are awesome and its something I need to change to.

I'm using hyperco springs as well.

Wikedeye, if you're going to do suspension and are serious about it, do it right the first time. If JRZ's are too much for you look into the Koni 3011. You'll need to specify the valving based on the spring rate range you plan on using. The honda challenge guys all use the same valving, so if you can find a used set from a Honda race car the work is done for you. You can also ask or search on HT. I think they mention the valving for those shocks in the RR/AX section.

I'm using hyperco springs as well.

Wikedeye, if you're going to do suspension and are serious about it, do it right the first time. If JRZ's are too much for you look into the Koni 3011. You'll need to specify the valving based on the spring rate range you plan on using. The honda challenge guys all use the same valving, so if you can find a used set from a Honda race car the work is done for you. You can also ask or search on HT. I think they mention the valving for those shocks in the RR/AX section.

Good advice.

If you go Koni dont waste the money on the Koni sports you get off the shelf. If you are on h-t all the fanboys will just say koni/gc or PIC select which I think is a joke. Most of them also have no idea how they are valved or what rates to run. The HC guys know obviously what works for them and are good to listen to so just avoid the other bs.

Set a budget first because when it comes to this area its critical. I have owned and wasted thousands at this point on different suspensions and could of had something like the jrz's by now. Koni 3011s were around 1k when I was looking at them before I got my progress setup. The 3011s plus springs and sleeves were going to run me close to 2 grand so I ended up going with the cheaper set.

Hyperco are what my friends are running that compete wheel to wheel here in ITB and ITA classes of SCCA. I can also say Im very pleased with them myself and I think B16 is too.

A quick run down of wasted money and mistakes on my part:

skunk2 sleeves on kybs
neuspeed race/tokico
tanabe sustec pro coilovers
koni sport/ground control

progress coilovers currently - happiest so far

Last edited:
The hyperco is a great spring, inexpensive and they have almost any rate you can think of in the popular lengths and diameters.

Here is a shot I took comparing my koni/gc with eibach springs to my hyperco progress setup. The quality seemed better on the new setup than it did on the old even though koni makes great suspension. Eibach didnt seem quite as good as the hyperco spring either but these are just my opinions.

See below, progress and hyperco on the right and koni/gc on left.

Last edited:
The 3011 are the ones that I was looking at the other day. I need to start putting some money aside. I will probably hold off until the beginning of next year to upgrade the shocks. The rest of the suspension should be easier and cheaper to get a hold of and after the first I can put the good ol' tax return to work. I have been hanging on to a set of ex knuckles for a while so now I think I will get them ready to swap. I know it is not much but the rotors are slightly bigger. Also I can put in new wheel bearings without any down time.

You would be very happy with the 3011.

Back