my EJ Build: Take 2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Got the bitch pin out. The two that I have done have not been that bad, maybe I have just been lucky. I would still like to know about the AC. I pushed on the valve on the high and low side and no air came out at all. Does that mean that the system is safe to take out? I will get some pics of the empty engine bay up later tonight.

Here are some pics of the car without an engine. I went ahead and removed the AC. I took the pics before. Anyway should be getting the engine in in a week. I have to reinforce the motor mounts before I put the new engine in.

P3260035.jpg

P3260036.jpg

P3260039.jpg

P3260040.jpg

P3260042.jpg

nice build man :thumbsup: just dont get lazy with it and take your time and do it right like you have so well so far. i wanna b16 so bad in my hatch.

I am going to clean and paint the bay this weekend. I have been considering painting it black, but I am not sure. Any opinions? I am also going to do a wire tuck. I think for now I will just tuck the headlight wires and rad wires. I want to make sure the engine runs with no problems before I hide any of the other wires.

are you going to rattle can the bay? if so, my vote is for black because it'd be hard to match a white with the rest of the car.

if youre going to use a gun, i'd say go with white just to keep it the same color as the car.

I will be rattle canning it. I dont have access to a paint gun or compressor right now. I think I can get a custom paint in a rattle can if I go with white. I am thinking black because all the trim on the car is black and it might add to the pandaness of the car, plus it would make the silver engine block and chrome header stand out real nice. I just dont know. Its a tough decision because I only want to do it once.

I do plan on cleaning it, but it is pretty scratched up. The firewall is the worst. I want to paint it because I am going to start on the body work after I get the engine in, and I want the engine bay to look new as well as the outside. I am leaning more towards black at this point.

I scrubbed the bay today with brillo pads to clean as well as scuff. I got most of the bay taped off and I will finish tomorrow. Paint on saturday and then hopefully I can remember where everything goes. I took out all the AC parts. Speaking of AC is the something that I can use to block off the holes in the firewall where the AC lines came from? Also I have one bolt rounded off on the drivers side lower motor mount, so I have to go and buy some bolt extractors tomorrow. I have decided to stick with white. I just dont feel like completely stripping the bay so I can repaint a new color. I dont think anyone will notice a slight difference in the whites. Should have the engine in early next week. More pics saturday.

I ran into a problem today. I was trying to attach the engine wire harness. I was under the impression that the d series would work, but I was mistaken. The fuel injector plugs do not fit. Can I use any B-series harness or does it have to be for a b16? Can the D harness be modified to fit?

Last edited:
Well I have managed to get a few things done this weekend. I tucked the headlight wires, window welded the mounts, and painted the engine bay.

P3310011.jpg

P3310010.jpg

P3310009.jpg

P3300004.jpg

P3300005.jpg

P3300003.jpg

P3300002.jpg

I made a stupid mistake while doing the wire tuck and now I have three wires on the drivers side (all the same color) and only one that matches up. There is a piece of wire the same color that obviously connects to the two that dont go to the head light, I am just not sure which one is which.

P3300008.jpg

I will figure it out eventually. I am going to put the bay back together tomorrow and see if I can modify my engine harness to fit the injectors.

bay actually doesnt look too bad..

as for the wiring, get some solders in there! lol

bay actually doesnt look too bad..

as for the wiring, get some solders in there! lol

You are right about the solder. I was trying to take the easy way out, but the crimps keep coming loose, so I guess I will have to solder.

As for the injector issue, I just took the injectors out of the D and put them in the B. I read that they are the same size and that they can be interchanged. I swapped the grommets from the B's to get a better fit. If I am wrong let me know.

Now I have some other problems. I need a drivers side upper bracket because the one on the D is two bolt and the B needs three bolt. If anyone has one let me know. Also the plug for the alternator does not fit. I can either get a new plug that fits or solder the wires directly to the alternator. I dont know which would be the better idea. I dont really want to spend a bunch of money buying a new plug.

So I fixed the wires...Solder sux to work with sometimes, but it sure is better.
P4050023.jpg

P4050024.jpg

I also tucked the fuel injector wires.
P4050028.jpg

Here is a shot of the bay without all the tape and paper.
P4050025.jpg

I have a question about the clutch. Which way does the plate go in. This way...
P4050027.jpg

Or this way...
P4050026.jpg

I figured out how the clutch plate fits together. I am just unsure about the flywheel cover. I am going to install the tranny tomorrow and then hopefully I will have the engine in this weekend. I had to pick up an obd1 dizzy today. I should have thought about all the obd2 parts before I started. I guess for now I will splice wire into the alt plug until I can pick up an obd1 alt.

You just had to go and point that out didn't you lol. I already thought about it and had to convince myself to wait. I will do it at some point, but right now I just need to get the engine in and running.

Back