my EJ Build: Take 2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wiring can cause some funny issues. My car ran weird till I found my MAP sensor wiring problem. Hope you can figure out what's wrong with your car quickly.

i had the same thing with a starter too, i had one that passed the test but was still bad...

I put in a new battery, pos, neg, and starter wire and oila! My batter light is on still so tomorrow I am going to take the new alternator back and see if it is bad. My cel is off right now so I dont whats going on with the VSS. I am going to drive it around a bit tomorrow and see if it comes back on or if vtec engages.

Ok battery light is off now. I have the alt hard wired and I had two wires in the opposite locations. For anybody that needs to know the terminal locations are in different locations from 93 civic alt to 94 teggy alt to 99 civic alt. Now I just need to fix the vss and everything will be good.

Got the vss working again. I checked everything twice and never really found anything wrong. I changed out the part for one that I knew was good. I took the good one apart and polished all the parts that I could for conductivity. I plugged in back in and cleared the codes and it works. I noticed a little fluctuation and it quit for just a second while driving, but it works otherwise. I have another cluster that is good so I am going to try it and see if I still have the fluctuation problem.

I did a compression check today and I think the results are pretty good.

210-215-220-210

I know cylinder 3 seems a bit off, but I think it is ok.
I tried to see if I could find any vacuum leaks and I am coming up with nothing. I think it just runs a little rough because it needs a slight timing adjustment and a tune. All in all everything seems good now. I have been putting all the interior back together and now I am going to wash it.

Sick. If this was your first swap I'd say you've dona great job man!

This is my first swap and before I bought this car I only could change oil and tires. I have actually learned so much. I bought this car in 2006 and have not put it in the shop once for anything. If something has been done to it, it was done by me. I pretty much learned everything from books or the internet.

On a side note. I replaced the cluster with the known good one and now the speedo doe not fluctuate. I am pretty sure that all the vss issues are now solved. The only down side is that the new odometer reads 57k more than my old one. I am going to do another valve job tonight and see if I can get rid of some of the noise.

Last edited:
I did the valve adjustment and it is sooo much better. I did one before I put the engine in, but I didnt do a very good job. They were all close, but all off by a bit. Now that everything is taken care of its time to get it tuned.

I have been driving around for a bit and the engine seems good. I still need a tune, but it will have to wait a week or two. Inside the car is really noisy. A lot of stuff vibrates now since the mounts have been solidified. The exhaust vibrates against the undercarriage. I think the cat is shorter then an integra cat is so the exhaust has been pulled forward about an inch. I am going to try a new cat soon and see if that fixes the problem.

Just a little update to keep the thread going. I have adjusted the timing and the idle and the engine is much more quiet then it was before. I did this last week and have noticed that there is an intermittent lope in the idle. It happens mainly when I have the lights on and the brake depressed. Maybe the alternator is too week, I dont really know for sure yet. I have put close to 500 miles on it at this point and it is doing really good. I drove down to savannah this week (over three hundred miles) and made it on approx. 3/4 of a tank. That is better then 34 miles per gallon. I want to see what kind of mileage I get when I get it tuned.

I am going to be living here in savannah for a couple weeks, so there will be minimal work getting done. However I will be making good money while I am down here. That means a tune and possibly some new wheels. I am also going to take the set of ex front knuckles that I have and get them ready to put on the car. i am going to replace the wheel bearings and get new rotors and calipers. The fronts on the car right now are a good bit smaller then the ex ones so it should be a nice upgrade.

comp test is fine, i had 225 in #1 220 in #2 225 in #3 and 160 in #4 still managed to get 150WHP and 111 TQ

comp test is fine, i had 225 in #1 220 in #2 225 in #3 and 160 in #4 still managed to get 150WHP and 111 TQ

Yeah I thought it was pretty good. All in all I think I did a pretty good job on my first build. Now I am going to get to work on the looks.

thats a hell of a job, make sure to re torque your head studs(bolts) after 10 heat cycles. it really helps if you beat the hell out of your engine.

Thanx for the advice. I will do that when I do a small tune up this week. I am going to recheck the valve clearance and check the plugs and what not to see if everything still looks good.

Got some new wheels. I am tired of the heavy ass 17s that I have rollin on so I picked up some del sol si wheels. I spent the evening sanding out a couple of scuffs and getting them ready for paint. I am thinking black with with a red lip and red H. How do I take the weights off that are connected to the lip?

2010-10-03_15-37-51_596.jpg
2010-10-03_15-38-19_502.jpg
2010-10-03_17-58-11_107.jpg
2010-10-03_17-58-27_615.jpg
2010-10-03_17-58-34_726.jpg
2010-10-03_17-58-42_685.jpg
2010-10-03_17-58-49_505.jpg

Yeah I just happened to take a look at the local forum and saw them for sale. I wasnt really looking for anything. I just happened to check the for sale section and what do you know. $100 with usable tires. I will be getting a new set of tire soon though. The set that is on right now are all miss matched.

Back