Will a car with tint pass inspection?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SasSi

I have 35% tint, the legal limit, on all my windows. My boyfriend told me yesterday that no inspection place in MD would pass any car with any tint on it. Is this true? If so, anyone know of a place in MD that will pass a car, regardless of tint?

Originally posted by MaliWho97@Nov 18 2003, 09:35 PM
I've never heard of that...... Some vehicles come from the factory with tint, so thats no good....

10% factory tint at most, and factory tint usually is only placed on the rear side windows. I don't see why it wouldn't pass inspection. It's legal, but I'm sure a cop who's having a pissy day might decide to pull you over and check the level. But they shouldn't be able to do anything about it.

I know the guy who sold me my car had to take the tint off for it to pass inspection, but I don't remember how dark it was.

Maryland Tint Laws:

Year Vehicle: 1991 & newer
Front Side: 35%
Back Side car: 35%
Back Side MPV: any %
rear w/s car: 35%
rear w/s MPV: any %
Left & right Mirror Required: Yes
Certificate required: Yes
Upper Windshield: 5"
Sticker Location: In between glass and tint on each window (Doubt they actually require that though)

Originally posted by SasSi@Nov 18 2003, 11:21 PM
I know the guy who sold me my car had to take the tint off for it to pass inspection, but I don't remember how dark it was.

Who put the current tint on your car? And did you get a receipt for his work? In Massachusetts, we have tint restrictions also. I have the legal limit. However if I had wanted it darker, the tint guy would have done it for cash and with no receipt written out.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Nov 18 2003, 11:52 PM
Who put the current tint on your car? And did you get a receipt for his work?

I traded my Si wheels to a friend for parts & services. He works at a shop that does tint, so he did it for me on the side. I don't have a receipt or anything.

Not to get off the subject, but...WOW SasSi...you are smokin in your portfolio. Can't tell you about MD tint laws, but tint isn't illegal or auto manufacturers would not put it on vehicles.

and those number that Scrapin posted are usually +/- 2-3%

I guess I'll see if it will pass when I take it for inspection. If not, I'll just peel the shit off! I'd rather not have to, though. It's nice tint- 3M. And I'm going to hate driving my car with no tint on the front windshield. My eyes are so sensitive to sunlight, I had my whole windshield tinted. B)

Originally posted by SasSi+Nov 19 2003, 03:56 PM-->
94RedSiGal
@Nov 18 2003, 11:52 PM
Who put the current tint on your car? And did you get a receipt for his work?

I traded my Si wheels to a friend for parts & services. He works at a shop that does tint, so he did it for me on the side. I don't have a receipt or anything.

I would think that the tint guy wouldn't knowingly put illegal tint on the windows of your car. At least, not without warning you of the consequences of it. Well think optimistically on both the tint and the emissions issues. Dress demurely, play innocent. We'll be rooting for you on the 26th!

Originally posted by sleepergtx+Nov 18 2003, 09:48 PM-->
MaliWho97
@Nov 18 2003, 09:35 PM
I've never heard of that...... Some vehicles come from the factory with tint, so thats no good....

10% factory tint at most, and factory tint usually is only placed on the rear side windows. I don't see why it wouldn't pass inspection. It's legal, but I'm sure a cop who's having a pissy day might decide to pull you over and check the level. But they shouldn't be able to do anything about it.

10% is illegal, thats almost as dark as limo tint which is 5%. I believe that as the percentage goes higher, the lighter the tint gets. But i could be wrong.

Originally posted by SasSi@Nov 19 2003, 06:18 PM
I guess I'll see if it will pass when I take it for inspection. If not, I'll just peel the shit off! I'd rather not have to, though. It's nice tint- 3M. And I'm going to hate driving my car with no tint on the front windshield. My eyes are so sensitive to sunlight, I had my whole windshield tinted. B)

NOOO!! DONT GO! Entire windshields being tinted are HIGHLY illegal... You are only allowed 5" from the top of the windshield in MD...

I used to have cars with the entire windshields tinted... sooo nice, but sooo illegal...

you know that if you get into a wreck w/ tint on your whole windshield your insurance company can deny payment because its illegally equipped?

Originally posted by ScrapinSi@Nov 19 2003, 09:42 PM
NOOO!! DONT GO! Entire windshields being tinted are HIGHLY illegal... You are only allowed 5" from the top of the windshield in MD...

I used to have cars with the entire windshields tinted... sooo nice, but sooo illegal...

you know that if you get into a wreck w/ tint on your whole windshield your insurance company can deny payment because its illegally equipped?

Oh I know it's illegal. I was definitely going to take the tint off the windshield before I have it inspected. I just wondered about all the other windows.

I'm not that worried about it as far as my insurance company is concerned. I blew up my motor & they paid for it. I happen to know the claim's adjuster from having worked in a body shop. She wouldn't look for something like that. She didn't notice it when she wrote the estimate for my blown motor.

Originally posted by Fastciv@Nov 19 2003, 04:30 PM
Not to get off the subject, but...WOW SasSi...you are smokin in your portfolio.

i second that.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal+Nov 19 2003, 07:38 PM-->
Originally posted by SasSi@Nov 19 2003, 03:56 PM
94RedSiGal
@Nov 18 2003, 11:52 PM
Who put the current tint on your car?  And did you get a receipt for his work?

I would think that the tint guy wouldn't knowingly put illegal tint on the windows of your car. At least, not without warning you of the consequences of it. Well think optimistically on both the tint and the emissions issues. Dress demurely, play innocent. We'll be rooting for you on the 26th!

I used to be a partcail tint owner in NY and we make you sign a legal notice that informs you that the tint is illegal and you are only using it for show purpose.

The tint place has no legal liability for the tint on your cars!

Originally posted by SasSi@Nov 18 2003, 09:10 PM
I have 35% tint, the legal limit, on all my windows. My boyfriend told me yesterday that no inspection place in MD would pass any car with any tint on it. Is this true? If so, anyone know of a place in MD that will pass a car, regardless of tint?

As of right now I have 35% in the front and 20% in the back and in NY 78% is the legal limit! I have never had a problem with how dark my tint is.

My car has passed inspection with the tint on a while ago!

With someone as hot as you are you will have no problem passing that car with the tint.

Besides: You said it was the legal limit anyway. Right? So what's the problem!

P.S. I voted for you and tell your boyfriend he is a lucky man!!

Back