Will a D15 from 93 Civic Drop into an 84 Hatch?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

d.b.cooper

Mid-life Crisis Swap
this was posted on Craigs list today for $100:

"I have the stock 1.5L SOHC non-VTEC engine and transmission out of my 1993 Honda Civic for sale. The combo has 197,700 miles and runs absolutely perfect. The transmission shifts without any grinds and the motor doesn't burn a drop of oil. I originally was planning on disassembling the motor completely and simply taking the block and head to an aluminum recycling place (I figure there's probably $30-40 worth of aluminum there but it would be a hell of a lot easier to simply sell the entire engine to someone who might actually want/need this engine.

$20 - engine / will not include distributor ignitor/coil, fast idle control valve, throttle body, oil pressure sending unit or starter.

$80 - transmission (<-- excellent upgrade for a Civic CX or a spare/replacement DX)

$10 - clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, throw out bearing

$100 - takes all of the above (prices are good for pickup only - If you need delivery we can negotiate that"

I looked at the engine list post and I think this guy has a D15B7 or B8? I read his post to imply it came out of a DX?

Mine is an 84 hatch 1500 is carb not FI it has 140 110 105 and 140 compression and the mechanic it is at won't let me dump any money in that car, says not worth it. This guys engine might not be much better with 197000 miles than mine with 182,000.

Thoughts? suggestions?

(none of this would be on the table, but the 1965 bug that I bought my 16 year old threw a wheel off and scared him semi-permenantly off of the car. Cotter-pins - I highly recommend them, consider me a cautionary example...but I digress)

well the motor is really old and there is no distributor, throttle body, starter, fast idle control valve, and oil pressure sendinig unit. I say no those parts will be anywhere from 200-400 ( my distributor was 300 new and 100 from a junkyard) plus the motor plus a new wire harness and somebody to install it (you'll have to do multi-point to pgmfi conversion) and I doubt it just bolts in. It's not worth it

More than that- on an 84, you'll have to convert to a high pressure fuel system just to run injection. Ther's no "converting to MPFI" from DPFI. It's totally not worth it. If you're going to do all that work to an 84 to get a fuel injected engine in there, put something besides a tired D series in.

Quoted post[/post]]
More than that- on an 84, you'll have to convert to a high pressure fuel system just to run injection. Ther's no "converting to MPFI" from DPFI. It's totally not worth it. If you're going to do all that work to an 84 to get a fuel injected engine in there, put something besides a tired D series in.

Yes, Ive given up that idea. My head is good on the 84 engine could it bolt on to other d series engines?

also I now located an 88 engine. Is it compatible?

The 88 engine will be the same- you'll have to convert to fuel injection, and run either two injectors or four depending on the engine. I don't think the head on your engine will bolt on to other D series engines. You could try to get a newer engine and convert it to carburetion, but it's really a lot of trouble- and more so- probably costs more than it's worth.

Do you really need to keep your 84? You could pick up an 88-91 Civic chassis for less than you would spend converting your 84 to FI.

1st/3rd gens are only compatiable with other 1st/3rd gens and 1st gen Integra's

unless you have mucho dinero

Quoted post[/post]]
The 88 engine will be the same- you'll have to convert to fuel injection, and run either two injectors or four depending on the engine. I don't think the head on your engine will bolt on to other D series engines. You could try to get a newer engine and convert it to carburetion, but it's really a lot of trouble- and more so- probably costs more than it's worth.

Do you really need to keep your 84? You could pick up an 88-91 Civic chassis for less than you would spend converting your 84 to FI.

I dont "have" to keep the 84, just sentimental about it. (on the other hand, thats how I ended up with several cars in the backyard with more money in parts then any of them are worth.)

Yeah, I'm the same way. If you must keep the 84, I would keep it as is and keep it running. If you want to play with more performance but not kill yourself trying to get fuel injection into your 84, buy a newer chassis.

Back