Will a D16A6 Sir work with a D16Z6 head??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Angus

I may have found a d16a6 sir jdm engine for a decent price. I am needing a good lower end for my d16z6 head in my '92 Civic EX. Will this combo work as a stock engine with 87 octane gas? And what is the difference in a "sir jdm" engine over a normal d16a6? Or is there a difference.

Thanks, Angus

It'll work, but make sure you use an A6 head gasket so that you can come up with 9.7:1 compression.

Compression Calculator

That's pretty accurate- just make sure you select the right components for your setup (correct pistons, head, gasket etc).

The SiR might have had different pistons, but if the block is stamped "D16A6" then it's a D16A6.

Will 9.7 to 1 run on 87 pump gas? Ang should I use the a6 pistons or swap with a different set?

9.7:1 will work on 87 octane, but you might have to step up to 89 on the stock ECU tuning setup. The D16Y8 runs at a stock compression ratio of 9.6:1, so I imagine that 9.7 will be ok.

Yeah it should work just fine, but if it's an EX, why don't you just keep it stock(z6)?
if you want a little more power, obviously after bolt-ons, try slapping a thinner HG in there, and maybe getting a little headwork done to bump a few hp out?

just throwing out some suggestions..

My Z6 block has a big hole in it. I tried to find a good priced z6, but very few are out there. I am not looking for any more power, just a good lower end for a milage car to give the kids. I got this car for salvage from a customer and do not want to spend big bucks.

Angus

well, remember you can use any D series bottom end, and actually, you might be able to find a cheap D15b7 with low mileage and put the Z6 head on it, making a Mini-me.

D15's are everywhere! (and uber cheap)

Well I have bought a D16A6 that has 150,000 miles but had good compression. The head has been off and the cam is gone, but I'm going to rebuild it and use my complete Z6 head anyway. OK, what combination of parts is going to work for me as a stock normal compression motor. I guess my main concerns are the correct head gasket, timing belt, and pistons.

Angus

Just leave the bottom end stock(rebuild of course), and use the A6 headgasket.
You'll have near-stock compression.

And use the z6 timing belt.

OK A6 lower end and head gasket, Z6 head, timing belt and upper end. The computer is the stock Z6 in the '92 Civic EX. Will I have a big problem with 87 octane or should I use different pistons? With the block having 150,000 miles I may have to clean up bore and get new oversize anyway.

Angus

I will probably have to replace the pistons anyway. I was just checking a compression calculator and found something out. Even though its an A6 block, if I use Z6 pistons, head gasket and head it looks like I get a Z6 in every way.

Just considering the block only what is the difference in a A6 and Z6.

Angus

Nothing, really. Maybe the strength of the girdle, and the slightly lower weight because the "A" stamping removes more material than the "Z" :)

Alright then. Bore it for the new pistons and consider the block a strong Z6. I like that idea.

Thanks all, Angus

OK, got the A6 block and it looks good. The crank has no groves and there is hardly any ridge on the cylinder walls. Not bad for a block with 150,000. Anyway I am planning on cleaning it up with a overbore and new Z6 pistons, but I cannot find a good sorce. The local Honda dealer would not work with me even though I'm a shop. The parts drone said they do not sell pistons???

Were do you guys suggest I buy my pistons and rebuild parts?

Thanks

The dealer can order the pistons- they probably just don't want to bother with it. You can get a set of cheap used good condition pistons on eBay or Honda-Tech somewhere, then buy new rings to go with them.

Back