Will a F22a4 w/trans drop into a 98 accord?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ceo1

I posted earlier on the converting my 98 Accord to a manual trans. I've been looking for a trans and came across someone willing to sell his F22a4 motor and transmission. I'm wondering if it will fit easily or if I will have to make major modifications (moving motor mounts, cutting and welding). I'm sure there will be a few adjustments but I don't want to completely frankenstein the engine bay. What ecu will I need to use? Finally, I'm wondering about the placement of the trans, if it's not in the exact same place, I will need new axles and such right? Will the Accord axle splines fit the F22 trans?

Also, can anyone give me an idea as to the power of the F22a4. I'm not looking to race anyone. But I know the accord is a bit heavy and I would like to stay with the same power at least, if not then upgrade of course. The F22a4 is non vtech?

Any and all help is appreciated! This motor and trans is cheap so I'm really looking into it. Thanks!

I'm fairly certain that the transmission will work, but please don't quote me on that. I can't recall whether or not the older transmissions were cable-operated and the newer ones hydraulic, so that's what you'd need to watch for.

Honestly though, I'd pass on this deal. You don't really want to downgrade to the F22A4. It's just an older, higher mileage, non-VTEC, and less powerful version of the engine you already have. Plus, you'd have to make some wiring changes to accomodate the OBD 0 or 1 engine being installed in to your OBD2 chassis. Like I said, not worth the cost and hassle of swapping for an older inferior version of what you've already got.

Just look for a deal on a 98-02 Accord tranny. Or better yet, look and see if there are any wrecked 98-02 Accords for sale for cheap. That would be your best case scenario since then you'd be able to pick out all of the ancillary pieces that you'll need to do an auto-to-manual swap (clutch, flywheel, lines, mounts, shifter, dash pieces, ECU, etc.)...

Back