1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will a new ecu help?

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by Raven2201, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Raven2201

Raven2201 New Member

I have a 99 EX with a D16Y8 SOHC VTEC in it. I am curious if swapping ecu's would give me a little more power or better acceleration. If so what should I put in it for a new ecu?. I am looking for something that doesnt need to be tuned.

2. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

if you dont wanna tune it, dont bother upgrading. its almost pointless.

3. Raven2201

Raven2201 New Member

I am just looking for something that with the stock fuel map...etc... that will give me a gain. Also, I am curious as to what kind of real gains I will get with a lightweight flywheel, bigger throttle body, aftermarket fuel rail and injectors. I have heard when you go from a stock flywheel to say a 7lb one like I just bought that your car may try to stall at lower rpm's unless you use heavier cams. I was also looking into a lighter underdrive pully.

4. reikoshea

flywheel is a great mod. your car MIGHT try and stall out at idle, but its not very likely, especially if its stock and you havent molested the poor thing.

fuel upgrades on a stock engine are almost pointless, whoever told you that is lying.

an underdrive pully would be a good idea if they didnt like to either A) shread timing belts or B) cause balance issues.

Cams are a great idea, but then just adding a new ecu isnt gonna cut it, cause you are going to want to retune that engine for the cams you just bought. you will thank me for that advice, believe me.

5. Raven2201

Raven2201 New Member

ok, thanks man. What about adding a different ecu and a lightweight flywheel for now. I was told the difference would be definitely noticeable but I am just wondering if its really worth it.

6. reikoshea

flywheel is definitely worth it. a new ecu (unless its from phearable) will not be a worthwhile investment. a lot of those jun/mugen/skunk2 ecus cause more harm than good.

7. Raven2201

Raven2201 New Member

Hmmm, well I just picked up my fidanza 7lb for 139 shipped. I have heard that is a decent brand. I think the price was pretty good too. Is there any other upgrades that are fairly cheap that I may be able to do or would a motor swap be my best way to go. I am thinking either a B16 or H22.

8. reikoshea

yeah, that was a pretty good price. as far as upgrades for a d series, edlebrock makes a really nice turbo kit for a d16y8.

9. Raven2201

Raven2201 New Member

But with a turbo isnt it recommended to get a programmable ecu?. Also, isnt the install on one a pain?.

10. reikoshea

edlebrock has a piggy back that works really well, and if the internals are stock on your engine, youll be fine with their fuel management.

The install isnt too bad. get two friends, a weekend, 2 24 packs of bud, a qp of bud and some pizza and youll be good to go.

11. Raven2201

Raven2201 New Member

Any chance you can link me to the setup?.

12. Raven2201

Raven2201 New Member

I just found one on ebay and its 4,000. Is there any that are cheaper?

13. Raven2201

Raven2201 New Member

14. reikoshea

walk away. ssautocrome and xs power = explosions.

15. reikoshea

16. Raven2201

Raven2201 New Member

What is the basis for that statement?. Do you have personal experience with them?. I am just curious since I have about 1000 I can put into upgrades and I want the most for my money.

17. reikoshea

the seals on the turbo are shit from the factory (meaning oil leaks and possible fires). the welds on the manifolds crack after short term use.

if another member reads this thread, they will back me up on this. DO NOT BUY SSAUTOCROME OR XS POWER (same company).

18. Raven2201

Raven2201 New Member

ok man, thanks. Any cheaper recommendations for a turbo or other bolt-ons?. There is a used one in the parts section towards the top. Can you check it out and tell me what you think about it. Thanks

19. reikoshea

i cant speak to whether or not its good stuff. it is used and even if the seller has the best intentions you can still get burned by coincidence.

20. Raven2201

Raven2201 New Member

Hmmm, ok. What other bolt-ons would give me a decent gain that may cost a bit less?.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted