Will H22a tranny fit on H22a4 block?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

scottp11

The Seniorest Member....
Someone in a previous post said that the blocks for the older H22 were different from the H22a4. I know that the "a4" has some bullshit ATTS built into the tranny that makes it near impossible to wire up, but what if I put the H22a1 or H22a tranny on it. Will it bolt up. I was planning on buying a tranny anyway, cuzz this block did not come with one. (someone gave me the block and head...) :D

Thanks for all your guy's help!!! :worthy:

not really all that familiar with H-series, but B-series trannys are interchangeable, so I don't see why H-series wouldn't be. I'll check up on it though.

if it is a base model h22a4 then it will fit fine because i have done this with a jdm h22a/lsd tranny. If it is the h22a4 from and sh prelude then you may have to do some extra work to make it fit, such as drilling and taping holes for the normal half shaft, at least that is what i heard a while back.

How can you tell if it is a base model or an SH? the code on the block is H22a4. Like I said, someone gave me the engine w/o tranny so...

Thanks for your help!!! :bow:

i am not 100% sure but i have heard that the oil filter is up higher on the block then the normal engnie but i am not sure of this and it didn't make sence to me, but you might want to check it if you have easy access to the engine

Yeah, I got the engine on a stand in my garage. The oil filter is higher, compared to a base model one? So that's it? So now I gotta go find someone with another H22, look at his oil filter (which is almost impossible to see anyway) and see if it's higher? What about the serial number? Will it tell me anything?

Thanks for your help though...

i was told oil filter was higher up and angled with the grip side upward more so. on a SH model.

My girlfriend has a 97 prelude sh (h22a4) and one of my good friends has a 93 prelude with a jdm (h22a) swap and the prelude sh has the slanted oil filter located near the top of the engine just to the left of the intake manifold. I am currently in the process of finding out a way to get rid of the atts unit but i am running into some problems finding out what all is needed for amputation of the atts. It really is annoying in autox events. <_<

Slanted in which way? Mine looks like it just comes straight off the block, like my B16... Slanted up, down, to the right?

Thanks for your guy's help.

Then I believe my H22a4 is the base model, cuzz my oil filter comes straight out like my B16.
With that being said... since this is the base model (I hope), the H22a tranny should just bolt straight up to my block, right? :unsure: :unsure: This should be a pretty straight forward swap, since I don't have the ATTS bullshit, right?

Thanks for all your help! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Has anyone found any other ways to tell the type-SH from the base model? If so, let me know. I can't really go off the oil filter theory cuzz I can't find anyone with a type-SH to compare it to.

I REALLY need to know the answer to this so I can continue with this build. I don't want to build up this motor and find out I can't even bolt on an H22A tranny. That would f'in suck!

Back