Will it catch on fire?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

klyph

Dismember
VIP
So my new motherboard recommends a 300W power supply, and the one I have is a 250W.
Can I use it?
What's the worst that could happen?

just don't run a lot of accessories.

if you have 2 dvd drives and 2 hard drives, you should have 300+.

worse that can happen is that your devices will not receive the power they need to operate fully. windows will go "oh noes!" and turn blue.

yeah, i wouldn't see an issue with it...
provided you don't have a stupidcharged video card either

Why not buy a new powersupply? 400watt PS can be hand for under 50 bucks. just look around.

Here's how it went. I got a GeForce 7800 GT for $80, then realized it was PCI express and had to buy a new motherboard. Then i got the motherboard and had to get DDR2 ram. Finally I realized I ordered the wrong CPU socket type, so I bought a new CPU. At this point my $80 graphics card turned into a money pit that i don't wanna dig any deeper. So I'm runnin what i got. It works, I'm making this post on it right now.

wow.....your kind of a candidate for dell if thats the story.

blue screen or a blue flash out the back of the psu are about the worst things that could happen.

ugh my graphics card says it's limiting performance due to insufficient power. Damn it all.

O yeah, fuck Dell.

Back