Will not start, get in here and help.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Ok damnit, check it out.

So last week I go to start the Civic, and sure enough I hear 'click, click, click, click" pretty loud and rapid. I thne stop trying and try again, now there is nothing accept the click of the key turning and the sound of the asscesories coming on (lights, radio, etc...).

Ok, so clutch in, sounds like it will start (just the electronic part, nothing turning), just without the starting. Clutch out, just just like normal if you didn't push the clutch in and tried to start it.

It tested 12v at the starter, clutch in, and nothing clutch out, so the cut out is good, and the battery is good, and it's getting the right go ahead from the ignition.

So, I replace the starter, easy right? nope, same thing, brand new starter.

Thoughts, "hey idiot did you..."s, random discussion about hot pron stars...

Quoted post[/post]]
Ok damnit, check it out.

So last week I go to start the Civic, and sure enough I hear 'click, click, click, click" pretty loud and rapid. I thne stop trying and try again, now there is nothing accept the click of the key turning and the sound of the asscesories coming on (lights, radio, etc...).

Ok, so clutch in, sounds like it will start (just the electronic part, nothing turning), just without the starting. Clutch out, just just like normal if you didn't push the clutch in and tried to start it.

It tested 12v at the starter, clutch in, and nothing clutch out, so the cut out is good, and the battery is good, and it's getting the right go ahead from the ignition.

So, I replace the starter, easy right? nope, same thing, brand new starter.

Thoughts, "hey idiot did you..."s, random discussion about hot pron stars...

ok well youve done some good first steps in diagnosing. so here is a few pointers i can offer you, voltage is one thing, AMPERAGE is another, the motor sucks alot of amps to get going, so, what you need to do, is get somebody to hold your multimeter on the battery, what volatage are you seeing? whatever it is, you should see the same volatge at the starter. next keep the multimeter on the battery, look at he voltage, and try and start the engine. watch the voltage...does it drop under 10 volts when you are putting a load on trying to start the car.

if you dont have someone to help ya, do the same, but instead of starting the car, turn on your highbeam headlights and turn on your wipers and hazard lights, then with all that on and running go check voltage at the battery? if it drops under 10V your battery is toast.

try that first bro!

corosion on the battery terminals or line?

check grounds...

with a bad battery conenction my Head Unit still works, but the second i turn the key, it all goes south.

Your battery is toast. A battery can have 14 Volts of power but have 100 C.C.A's. (Cold Cranking Amps) Civic batteries are make to output anywhere from 410 C.C.A.'s to 500. Replace the battery it sounds like thats your problem.

did you check the little 's' wire on the starter? my car starting doing this too. the single spade connector was loose and had a lot of shit on it. so, i cleaned it and smashed the ends back down and it started.

not sure if you know what imt alking about, but on my car is was the one black wire that is next to the big 'wire from battery' on the starter.

just trying to help. btw, my car is obd0, not sure what the differences were between obd0 and 1 starters.

no difference, one solenoid wire and one B+ big power wire that is direct current from the battery. and thats a good tip too, that could very well be the cause of your problem as well.

Quoted post[/post]]

ok well youve done some good first steps in diagnosing. so here is a few pointers i can offer you, voltage is one thing, AMPERAGE is another, the motor sucks alot of amps to get going, so, what you need to do, is get somebody to hold your multimeter on the battery, what volatage are you seeing? whatever it is, you should see the same volatge at the starter. next keep the multimeter on the battery, look at he voltage, and try and start the engine. watch the voltage...does it drop under 10 volts when you are putting a load on trying to start the car.

if you dont have someone to help ya, do the same, but instead of starting the car, turn on your highbeam headlights and turn on your wipers and hazard lights, then with all that on and running go check voltage at the battery? if it drops under 10V your battery is toast.

try that first bro!

Did it.

Quoted post[/post]]
corosion on the battery terminals or line?

check grounds...

with a bad battery conenction my Head Unit still works, but the second i turn the key, it all goes south.

Brand new connections, was working an hour earlier.

Quoted post[/post]]
Your battery is toast. A battery can have 14 Volts of power but have 100 C.C.A's. (Cold Cranking Amps) Civic batteries are make to output anywhere from 410 C.C.A.'s to 500. Replace the battery it sounds like thats your problem.
Mmmm...was starting with no issue...an hour earlier.

Quoted post[/post]]
did you check the little 's' wire on the starter? my car starting doing this too. the single spade connector was loose and had a lot of shit on it. so, i cleaned it and smashed the ends back down and it started.

not sure if you know what imt alking about, but on my car is was the one black wire that is next to the big 'wire from battery' on the starter.

just trying to help. btw, my car is obd0, not sure what the differences were between obd0 and 1 starters.
All wiring is 100%

I'd go with 'get a new battery'. If you turned it on, and at first it went 'clickclickclickclickclick', that's your starter solenoid getting enough power to turn it on (or whatever a starter solenoid does), but not enough power to turn the starter over. After the initial attempted start, the starter drained the last bit of juice the battery had, which is why you no longer heard the clicking anymore.

get a jump.

if that doesn't work, check your fuse box for popped fuses and fuseable links.

if that doesn't work,

unplug your o2 sensor :ph34r:

i'm sure you remember that one.......

does the starter Do the one CLICK when you turn the key to START?? or does nothing happen.

this may sound out of the question, BUT i have had this a few times, but you said it has been sitting a while...have you tried to turn the engine over with a socket and ratchet at the crank pull to ensure the motor is not seized.

for sure the starter is good? was it bought or was it a used one?

Quoted post[/post]]
does the starter Do the one CLICK when you turn the key to START?? or does nothing happen.

this may sound out of the question, BUT i have had this a few times, but you said it has been sitting a while...have you tried to turn the engine over with a socket and ratchet at the crank pull to ensure the motor is not seized.

for sure the starter is good? was it bought or was it a used one?
It hasn't sat, I drove it an hour before this happened :cry:

Does nothing, you can here a slight noise for a second when you turn the key, not really a click persay.

does your car have electric windows or any electric accessories (except the radio)

Cause my lude did that when i put the battery from the protege in it. Apparently the connection wasnt tight enough, and when i tried to start it or use the power windows the lights would go immediately dim....but the radio would work.

Thats the only thing i can think of...it just sounded like a fuse popped when i turned the key or hit the windows.

ok well you gotta see whats at the starter when you turn the key. if you said you got battery voltage at the starter when the key is in start, then your starter is pooched, with 12v sitting at the Big terminal that the pull in windings in teh starter should pull the first set of contacts together. try putting a screw driver across the small terminal and the big terminal, see if it cranks. but keep hands and face clear, it will give a little spark and crank the engine, so be preparred for that. that is...if it cranks!

Quoted post[/post]]
does your car have electric windows or any electric accessories (except the radio)

Cause my lude did that when i put the battery from the protege in it. Apparently the connection wasnt tight enough, and when i tried to start it or use the power windows the lights would go immediately dim....but the radio would work.

Thats the only thing i can think of...it just sounded like a fuse popped when i turned the key or hit the windows.
No power anything, and all fuse look good.

Quoted post[/post]]
ok well you gotta see whats at the starter when you turn the key. if you said you got battery voltage at the starter when the key is in start, then your starter is pooched, with 12v sitting at the Big terminal that the pull in windings in teh starter should pull the first set of contacts together. try putting a screw driver across the small terminal and the big terminal, see if it cranks. but keep hands and face clear, it will give a little spark and crank the engine, so be preparred for that. that is...if it cranks!
So basically jump the two connetions the starter has? Interesting, will try.

Quoted post[/post]]
did you put the ground on the starter?
if you are meaning the little connection, yes. I hadn't been messing with the car, it has run fine and started fine since the last time , what a year or so ago when the original starter died.

Something in the starting system is not telling the starter to go, at least that's what it sounds likie. I have looked at all teh wiring and it's tight and in place, no fuses are blown. All I can think of that would be left would be a relay, but everything seems to work and it's my understanding that if a relay goes out, it causes more than one failure.

Quoted post[/post]]
if you are meaning the little connection, yes. I hadn't been messing with the car, it has run fine and started fine since the last time , what a year or so ago when the original starter died.

Something in the starting system is not telling the starter to go, at least that's what it sounds likie. I have looked at all teh wiring and it's tight and in place, no fuses are blown. All I can think of that would be left would be a relay, but everything seems to work and it's my understanding that if a relay goes out, it causes more than one failure.
Well i think he mighta meant the big connection that grounds the whole tranny, my car wouldn't start without that bolted on, after it did start for 4 months with it missing?
A failed relay may cause other things to go bad, but you're dealing with the starter, I'm willing to guess that relay runs independently, since all your car's power is taken and used to start the car.
Relays are cheap and easy to troubleshoot.
Start touching relay holes together for teh win!

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Well i think he mighta meant the big connection that grounds the whole tranny, my car wouldn't start without that bolted on, after it did start for 4 months with it missing?
A failed relay may cause other things to go bad, but you're dealing with the starter, I'm willing to guess that relay runs independently, since all your car's power is taken and used to start the car.
Relays are cheap and easy to troubleshoot.
Start touching relay holes together for teh win!

But looking at the manual, the only relay in the starting system is the same one with the horn relay, condensor relay, A/C compressor clutch relay, starter cut relay, and they all work.

On a side note, the starter (old) tested fine, so I am selling it, since I can only return it for a $40 core and working it's worth a lot more.

Well, after all the bullshit troubleshooting, it turns out to be something that I, nor anyone else, would have ever thought..........

A fucking ground. That's right, apparently the engine wasn't grounded well enough, and after a year decided it didn't want to start anymore.

Back