Will the V tec work

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Turmoil010

I got a 98 civic lx. i pretty much blew the engine. the guy at the shop told me it would b cheaper to buy a new car. so i asked aroound and found a SOHC VTec the same engine as mine but Vtec. So my only question is will it work in my car. do i need to get n e thing to make the vtec work. like will my wiring harness and ecu work with it?

your ecu and stock wiring will not work with a vtec engine, you would need to get an ecu that will run vtec, and either modify your wiring by adding wires for vtec, or get wiring from a 96+civic that had/has a vtec engine.
Your best bet would be to go to a junkyard or scrap yard and get the engine, wiring and computer all from the same car.
Also if your car is automatic you will need an ecu that runs vtec and automatic, Im not sure what ecu it would be because I am an OBD1 guy.

It definitely would be easier to get the harness and computer from a Civic EX (Canadian Si or Acura EL too) from a 96-98 (OBD2a). The ECU you want is a P2P for that setup.

Back