will they fit

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

That's not what he asked. The pistons will fit in the bore of the block, but they won't fit directly onto the B18B rods without modification. Either the rods need to be shaved a bit (good solution), or the pistons need to be clearanced where the rods connect to them (bad solution).

I didn't answer at first because there are TONS of posts that will pop up about this if the search function is used...

thanx calesta....or should i get different rods??....im trying to build an ls vtec and i wanna build it right....what do u suggest??

Originally posted by gount175@Oct 5 2004, 04:24 PM
thanx calesta....or should i get different rods??....im trying to build an ls vtec and i wanna build it right....what do u suggest??
[post=398679]Quoted post[/post]​

If you want to build it right, buy my rods. :) I've got a set of Eagle rods for sale that I'll give to you for $250.

The "right" way to do it would be to use aftermarket rods and pistons, but it all depends on how much money you have to spend. If you want to save cash, lots of people have successfully modified the OEM pistons/rods to get them to work together.

import builders made 180 whp on stock ls rods

http://www.importreview.com/reviews/lsvtec.html

Our LS/VTEC did 13.2 at the track when it was pulling down 180 HP at the wheels...............And to you people who don't think stock rods are good...we are using STOCK LS rods with no shot peening and the rev limiter is at 8600 RPM.  We have hit that mark hundreds of times.  And this car drove to Sacramento (8 hours each way) raced, then drove all the way home with no incident.  How is that for reliability?

edit: but you should buy Cal's rods anyways, and give them to me.

Originally posted by civicious@Oct 6 2004, 04:00 PM
import builders made 180 whp on stock ls rods

http://www.importreview.com/reviews/lsvtec.html

Our LS/VTEC did 13.2 at the track when it was pulling down 180 HP at the wheels...............And to you people who don't think stock rods are good...we are using STOCK LS rods with no shot peening and the rev limiter is at 8600 RPM.  We have hit that mark hundreds of times.  And this car drove to Sacramento (8 hours each way) raced, then drove all the way home with no incident.  How is that for reliability?

edit: but you should buy Cal's rods anyways, and give them to me.
[post=399161]Quoted post[/post]​

I'll bet $ to cents that those stock rods at least had ARP rod bolts.

8600 RPM w/ bone stock rods <cough>bullshit<cough>

im sory im not tryin to steal ur thred. but im puttin GSR pistons on my ls rods, will those go on no prob? if the Type R pistons wont then i dono if mine wil... ?

Originally posted by CRseX84@Oct 7 2004, 06:03 PM
im sory im not tryin to steal ur thred. but im puttin GSR pistons on my ls rods, will those go on no prob? if the Type R pistons wont then i dono if mine wil... ?
[post=399754]Quoted post[/post]​

You will have the same problem as with p73 pistons. Just shave the rods down abit. If for nothing else, at least you can tell people you have "custom rods". :ph34r:

Originally posted by civicious+Oct 8 2004, 12:15 AM-->
Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 7 2004, 07:17 PM
civicious
@Oct 6 2004, 04:00 PM
but you should buy Cal's rods anyways, and give them to me.
[post=399161]Quoted post[/post]​

You can buy them direct- easier. :)
[post=399722]Quoted post[/post]​

easier, but not cheaper (for me at least)
[post=399893]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, I sure as hell am not giving them away, and I doubt that he is either. :)

how about gs-r rods/ type r pistons combo?? also whats up with those type r oil squirters??...could i put them on my ls/vtec or should i just just forget and stop asking so many questions? :) :D

how about gs-r rods/ type r pistons combo?? also whats up with those type r oil squirters??...could i put them on my ls/vtec or should i just just forget it and stop asking so many questions? :) :D

gsr rods will rod itr/ctr/gsr pistons
ls rods will hold ls/b16 pistons

but b16/ls rods will not hold gsr/ls/ctr pistons
and gsr/ctr/itr rods will not hold b16/ls pistons.

(assuming you want to go bolt on-- pistons and or rods can be modified to accept the other in some cases)

Originally posted by gount175@Oct 12 2004, 02:28 AM
how about gs-r rods/ type r pistons combo?? also whats up with those type r oil squirters??...could i put them on my ls/vtec or should i just just forget it and stop asking so many questions? :) :D
[post=401490]Quoted post[/post]​

oil squiters won't clear the ls crank without modification. IMO, its not worth the hassel

last question.....will the gsr rods/ itr piston combo bolt right into the ls block?? and is it good for ls/vtec??

Originally posted by gount175@Oct 12 2004, 03:35 PM
last question.....will the gsr rods/ itr piston combo bolt right into the ls block?? and is it good for ls/vtec??
[post=401762]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes and no. The GSR rods aren't the same length as the LS rods. You want to match the rods and crank together, otherwise you'll have really screwy compression. The GSR rods on the LS crank will slam the piston straight into the head or valves...

Go with aftermarket rods or modify the LS rods to take the ITR pistons.

Back