will this be steetable

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

will a b16 be streetable if it has a knife-egded crank, titanium or aluminum rods, 8lb flywheel, and a lighted crank pully?

screw the crank pully, it'll only damage your acessories (ps pump, AC and alternator) and isn't all that benificial. An 8lb flywheel is light, but not unstreetable, you just need to know how to drive....well. Other than that, yes. Buy why would you get new rods and knife edge your crank if you arn't upgrading your top end to handle higher RPM and why arn't you getting new pistons? Sounds like you need to rethink your plan.

Sounds good to me. Now all you have to do is build it and tell us about it :D

If you knife edge your crank, be prepared to rebuild the bottom end often. Crankshaft counterweights are there for a reason... to balance the assembly and to dampen the vibrations caused by the impulse forces being created by the combustion of each cylinder. Sure, it will help your motor crank faster, but there will be no weight to absorp the abnormalities in the combustion process. I would just get the reciprocating assembly balanced and blueprinted. Aluminum connecting rods are not going to last nearly as long as steel or Ti rods. because their fatigue strength is much lower, and they are much likelier to undergo catastrophic failure much sooner. Ti rods are nice, but I hope you have lots of money to sink into the motor. For the price of a good set of Ti rods, you could buy a nice set of fine Crower Billet rods and some wiseco or CP forged aluminum pistons to go with them. Also Ti expands much more than steel with increasing temps, so look forward to some good amount of engine noise at cold operating temps.

:cliffs:
No I wouldn't street it, But I'd rock it on the track
Aluminum does not have good fatigue characteristics; don't use it for rods.
Ti is hella expensive.
Knife-edging is not necessary for high revs, and will hurt the engine's reliability.

Back