will this work (d16y7)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jman30513

ive found a 50k mile Y7 to go into my 98 ex (i know the Y7 is not vtec)
should bolt right up right (it is OBDII)?
will i have an ecu problem since it isnt vtec or do i just not use the plug?
or should i just use the bottom and use my head, dist, manifold etc.?
i can get the whole motor for 375 shipped for the 50k motor or just a bottom end for 150 shipped (has 100k on just the bottom).
NEED ADVICE QUICK!
THANKS
jman

It should work (it's OBD2), but you'll probably throw a few error codes for VTEC. If your Y8 head is still good, buy just the bottom end (I assume you need a replacement) and perform a "mini-me" conversion on the Y7 block. You'll get your VTEC back and not have to worry about your ECU throwing any codes.

just heard that i may have a knock sensor problem since the Y7 doesnt have one?
this true?
anyother issues that i may run into?
jman

knock sensor i don't think that the SOHC have a knock sensor i may be wrong but that is for the DOHC engine because i am running a P28 ecu which is for a SOHC ecu and i didn't even need to wire the knock sensor

everything that is d series bolts right together just remember as long as the series has the same letter it will bolt right up i would do what Calesta do the mini me set up, use the ex head and any d series block they all line up. as for the ecu keep your ecu that is vtec if you are going to use the vtec head if you are going to use a non vtec head and you need an ecu i have one pm me if you need it ok

Replying in thread.... just because you PM me doesn't mean that I'll be here to get it and respond. Post in the thread next time.

i know i shouldnt pm you but this guys has 3 buyers for this motor
i wanna make sure i can use it
it is obd2 but im hearing that i might have some work to do
knock sensor
jman

I don't know about the knock sensor.

Back