Windows 10

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

it should bring up everything starting with calc. never seen the metro one. wonder why yours is different.

you can grab the top bar and move it to the side of the screen.

image.jpg

Yeah I know. I mentioned split screen in my previous post. Still can't make it smaller than full page height and can't have multiple

just upgraded the zenbook.

it'll take some getting used to, but the look is nice.
also my touchpad doesnt work properly (gestures). i think its a problem with TPM.

hmm, maybe its not the TPM. looking into TPM, seems it doesnt have much to do with the touchpad? maybe im not clear on that.

it was working before the update

but i got it working now, i redownloaded the win8 driver from asus and installed it (had to do it twice for some reason).

ah god damn it! windows keeps over riding me with the "latest" driver and the gestures stop working.

ok i think i got it. after the latest update over-ride from microsoft (which is a different driver they were pushing before i installed the asus drivers) it seems to be working again.

What a fucking nightmare Win10 is, everything fucking crashes, it's slow and non responsive. you click a folder it takes 5-6 seconds to pop up. everything crashes....it's slow, did I mention everything crashes?

Yeah I uninstalled. What a huge difference Win7 is. SOOOO much faster and more smooth.

I would definitely wait but if you want to try it out , it's pretty easy to revert back. You have 30 days to revert back to your previous version of Windows. I can tell you from my experience, it was a nightmare.

still zero issues on my machine and kristens machine. and the few at the office. but they are all turnkey systems. nothing out of the ordinary.

no issues on my Asus Zenbook (after i got the touchpad drivers sorted out). runs just as well as it did on Win8.1. I wouldnt say it's any better or worse, everything is about the same just have to relearn a few things and figure out where certain things are located now lol.

no issues on my Dad's 2x E5-2680 Xeon 20-core 64GB ram SETI system. lol

i tried upgrading my parents' HP laptop from 2008, it's plenty powerful enough, high end at the time (2.5ghz dual core, 4GB ram, etc). It came with windows vista. at some point my dad upgraded it to windows 7. tried to do the upgrade to win10, and it freezes at 32% and has to be force restarted. obviously this interrupts the upgrade and it reverts back to win7. so i went through and uninstalled all of the junk on there (it had norton360, McAfee IS, and Ad-Aware all installed haha). tried again, same thing, froze at 32%. went through the drivers and disabled the wifi card, and uninstalled some weird broken VPN drivers in the networking section lol. tried again, and still froze at 32%. i considered reverting the system back to OE specs via the recovery partition, but that would wipe out win7 and you dont get the free upgrade off Vista.

next im going to try using the win7 repair disc and see if it can find anything to automatically fix with the windows installation, then try again. none of this surprises me. my parents just use this system to browse the web and bullshit on the internet. there's probably some OS corruption or some kind of virus fucking shit up for the upgrade. I wish i could do a clean install of win10 for the upgrade :(. worst comes to worst, I'll just tell my parents to either stick with Win7 on it, or just buy the box copy of Win10 if they want it that bad.

and finally, since Netflix is fucking over Windows Media Center users by stopping all support and functionality of the Netflix plug-in for WMC after 9/15/15, My HTPC box is now pretty much useless as an HTPC lol. I dont have cable anymore, so my Ceton CableCard quad tuner and 4TB of storage space are pretty much unused anymore. I was only using this machine for Netflix really, and in a month I wont be able to. So i bought an Amazon Fire TV stick. works great and the interface is better than the WMC plug-in. So the HTPC box will probably now be converted to more of a gaming machine. I think I'm going to upgrade the hardware a bit, reformat to a fresh install of Win7, then do the upgrade to Win10 for free after that.

you can still access netflix via a browser! time to get KODI and constellation for iphone/android, too.

but you have to use a kb and mouse. which is cumbersome on a TV interface while sitting on a couch/bed. my old Win7 WMC setup used a remote (sensor built into my case) and the WMC remote was paired to the TV functions. it was a lot more smooth.

the amazon tv stick has been working great though.

with KODI? no you dont.

i push the on button on the desktop. it boots into windows 8, then KODI starts up automatically and i control it with my iPhone. when done, i can shut it down. from my iPhone.

Back