Windows 8, $39 upgrades

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Xp sp3 did not support DVD out of the box. A codec was usually bundled as oem provided software.

thanks, i couldnt remember which version of windows was the first to have it bundled up in the OS. maybe it was vista SP1. but even win7 had it since release. IMO they shouldnt be removing features like that.

I need to look into Linux. I know nothing about it.

It's pretty windows/mac no-brainer nowadays, the biggest differences are at the console and in the directory structures. Once you pass that you're golden. Heck, OSX is based on BSD so if you know your way around the Mac command line you're half way there.

This crap is the dealbreaker for me

oooh that looks neat. maybe i should VM it :lol:

tumblr_m7dpufvC8E1qzre2a.gif

to me none of it is a big deal. i don't do much with my computer anymore. i download and burn DVDs at most, but i can keep a win7 machine around. my new laptop doesnt even have a media drive. so :shrug2:

welp just got this bitch VM'd onto the ultrabook.... there is a desktop. that screen you see above is the new START menu.

seems pretty decent. multitasking is easy. you can have multiple windows open at once. its very fast on the SSD!!!!

What's up with your resomolution?

You can have multiple windows on the desktop-desktop, but that tile interface is the one you're meant to be in all the time (they want to phase out the old desktop eventually) and I don't think you can do it there.

the desktop-desktop you are referring to works just as plain as pie. when you open other apps from the "start" menu they appear down below. you have the option to run them "full screen and separate" (think IE F11 behavior) or normal like you would a standard desktop.

VMplayer with basic VM-enabled vga drivers.

ubuntu is stupid simple to install.

Hell, you don't even have to install it, copy all the files onto a thumb drive and boot from it, it will be a bit slow, but it will let you use ubuntu, if you like it, click the button that says install bam, done.

i'll be installing it again within a few months when we roll it out.

Last edited:
Ubuntu and Linux Mint are both crazy stupid to install and work with.

The only weird thing is learning you dont have to download software from a website, but instead use your system menu and synaptic (i think is the name).

Once you get used to that little shift it's pretty stupid simple.

I've had at least one Linux machine I use actively 5 days a week for the last 8 years now. If I wasn't a dedicated WOW player even this machine would be Linux too. If i didn't need MAPI calenders at work my Mac would be linux. Really those are the ONLY two things linux doesn't do perfectly well. MAPI/Exchange email and calendars and some video games don't work, along with most voice chat utilities used for gaming (skype is good though).

There's a million ways to do something in Linux but with Ubuntu and Mint there's generally an app to do something that 5 years ago, HAD to be done from the command line. Makes life so much easier for new users.

Back