Windows Vista

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

I know many of you guys hate windows, but probably a large majority of you guys still use it. Anyway, I havent really been keeping an eye on Windows Vista, but doing some research and it seems pretty cool.

Has anyone gotten a chance to use the beta versions, since theyve been leaked all over? And if yes, how does it compare with XP? What about the "security enhances"?

I'm also hearing a lot of this anti-piracy stuff. What is it and what does it block? I just read that it blocks off high-def stuff only right? Or does that include regular .avi videos, mp3s, etc...

And what the fu*k is this crap about having the right monitors?

I'm still kind of new to this and I've googled, but the more I read the more confused I got. Break it down to laymen's term so the rest of us can understand what are the pro's and con's of Vista.

Thanks Ya'll.

basically, vista is going to try to stop you form not only using crackec copies of vista it self, but all other programs as well.

so your cracked copy of photoshop won't install on vista.... even though it works fine on your xp box.

me, i have no intentions to upgrade to vista. i've just been sitting on my ass waiting for a decent linux distro to come out... the ones that are out there, just don't do it for me.
gimp sucks.
i want photoshop for linux.

the day that happens, windows can kiss my ass bye bye for ever.

since i've been at my company, we've gone from having 1 linux server to over 14 mostly due to my pressing the issue, and them finally ralizing that they are wasitng so much god damn money in licensing.

get this-- some things M$ makes, requires a license for:
- the OS
- EACH processor
- EACH user.

so, if you have a box with 50 users on it, and its a dual processor, you get charged more. its so fucking stupid.

MS is doing themselves in by being greedy.

honestly, the same thing goes for Adobe too.

if Photoshop wasn't 900 bucks, i'd probably by it if it was 50 or 60. but for a mortgage payment, they can kiss my ass. greddy fucks.
and i'm a programmer.
usually its the programmers who actually buy software, etc, as its technically their own pockets they are skimping out on.

in reality, money is in support.

give the product for free.
if you need help with it, you're going to get charged for it though.

GNu for life.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.aspx

----------------- now me, personally... i can't wait for Sun to finish it's Solaris spin-off.

total bad ass.

https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64475

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArt...p/lookingglass/

oh shit-- theres a developer demo available for download already!!!

https://lg3d.dev.java.net/

ive been thinking about doing a dual boot with windows and linux, but havent found a spare right yet and dont want to mess with the one i have. linux seems so imposing because its basically kernels that you mod urself right?

It all depends on which Distro you get. RedHat and even Fedora for that matter are pretty much install straight out with very little work. But there are alot of nuts and bolt type Distros out there like Gentoo. Im hoping that the Linux community pulls together some time soon and makes 1 or 2 really kick ass distros instead of having 10 diffrent distros.

My feelings of Vista are that it is going to be a serious resouce hog just sitting there. You have to have a 3d graphics card just to run it in "pretty mode". But soon Microsoft is going to make the transition to a cmd prompt much like Linux's bash. I was doing alittle reading on that. Im with Brian though, Linux needs some more applications such as Photoshop and other high end stuff like that.

I love Open Office though, I think everyone should use that. With some much open Source stuff out there now you dont even really have to run the risk of being caught with cracked copies of an office suite.

Untitled-2.jpg

thats too much money. But i ran vista on my old laptop, i wouldnt recommend it. I mean if the beta is a little better, maybe. The sun microsystems OS is what i would purchase... if all programs for windows will run with it.

I'm running the newest beta build 5270, and its pretty nice. The search feature in the start menu makes it so you'll never have to use the mouse again to find a program, which is nice. Just hit the windows key and type the name of the program/file you want (it has all files preindexed like on Mac OS). I havn't had any trouble running downloaded music or movies on it and I havn't tried yet, but I assume it won't have any problems with my cracked software.

Do you need full blown Photoshop? In my yearbook lab we have our machines loaded with Photoshop Elements 2.0 and it seems to do anything we need up to am intermediate level. I have photoshop 7.0 on my machine just to convert files to CMYK to send to the publisher. if you can get away with Elements its only like a hundred dollars or so. Just my .02

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
vista still 64 bit dependant?

the one i got of pirate bay werked on a 32 but frooze on the instal a buch of times so didnt install it

vista is gay

im fine with my xp no sp haha

sp2 is total crap and who needs sp1 either

ut oh...someone hit a nerve on reiko. You care to back up why you say SP2 is total crap. I have SP2 on both of my XP machines. I havent had a BSOD or a system crash since i got my XMS RAM for my desktop. Thereis not a SINGLE PIECE OF SOFTWARE that says, "NO EWWW SP2, GET AWAY!!!". So unless you are gonna back up the statement with something other than "M$ R teh SuX0Rz!!!1!11!" (which we all have reasons for), back off the SP2 if you are still hooked in the windows world.

That is why I asked if he could get away with using it. Reading owns you. I know that Elements sucks for "real graphics people" but when all you want to do is to chop a few pics or some basic/intermediate work then Elements is more than capable.

Quoted post[/post]]
The sun microsystems OS is what i would purchase... if all programs for windows will run with it.

purchase? its FREE. just like sloaris.

Quoted post[/post]]
Do you need full blown Photoshop?

:yes:

Quoted post[/post]]
Elements sucks. Completely useless for anyone doing real graphics work.

:werd:

seriously, Elements is a HAIR above paint.

i use just about every aspect of photoshop at one point or another.

there's 100's of free programs you can get from download.com to crop, re-size, rotate, etc....
why pay 100 bucks for it with elements?

In my world we have to be legit with licenses and my school district got a site license when we upgraded to Adobe CS 2 with InDesign. I have not really found to much that it wouldn't do for what we use it. I guess I didn't realize that you were so graphic arts oriented. As I said before for the average Prosumer and what we use it for it does alright.

um....freeware is legit. If your school just bought a bunch of copies of Elemets all that proves is that you have a bunch of retards in your IT department.

Back to vista. I'm posting from Vista build 5270 on a 32-bit (Yes you heard that right) machine. Dual Xeon 3.06's 533fsb, runs great. WAY faster than XP. It also starts up pretty fast, although this old ass drive doesn't help. I've got a whole bunch of programs installed, firefox, itunes, gaim. Daemon tools won't work for some reason (some security thing) but its supposedly Vista compatible. Once I figure out how to get d-tools working I'll let you guys know of Pirated software works or not.

The one thing I HATE about this OS is the security. It won't let me do ANYTHING before clicking "allow" in their damn pop up window. I'm going to figure out how to disable this shit and it should run much better.

thats good news citizen. keep us updated and how vista is turning out.

probably wont upgrade until there is a final build or at least all the tweaks are worked out. xp is doing me fine and we'll see how sp3 is going to fare.

and jumping on the linux boat is a little scary for me. maybe when i get another box to fuck up or like others have mention, a more solid distro instead of like 12. pretty intimadating if you have zero experience with linux or programming for that matter.

Back