Windows Vista

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lol no

Windows apps are definitely NOT solaris compatible.

Well, I can't get Alcohol or d-tools to install because theres some problem with the virtal drives in Vista so I think I'm going to give up for a while. Every time I try to install, it corrupts the whole windows installation. I'll wait for a new build. Oh well. That build was from December anyway, there should be a new one soon.

I got mine from demonoid, or isohunt or somewhere. you can even install it from a partition and don't need to burn it to DVD. I burned it, I don't trust virtual drives enough to install OS's from them.

Quoted post[/post]]
and jumping on the linux boat is a little scary for me. maybe when i get another box to fuck up or like others have mention, a more solid distro instead of like 12. pretty intimadating if you have zero experience with linux or programming for that matter.

Not really.

All you need to do is find out which distro is for you. It all depends on your knowledge of computers and Linux in general. If you have no Linux experience, then Linspire is a good start. Very easy to install, very easy to use. As you learn, you can start looking at other, more advanced distros.

You don't *need* to recompile your kernel, the stock kernel is setup to run as-is. All modules are usually included for all supported hardware so it's plug and play. Once again, as you learn you will build your own kernels.

Throw in an extra drive and check out Linspire or Fedora.

Quoted post[/post]]
RedHat and even Fedora for that matter are pretty much install straight out with very little work.
Redhat maybe, but Fedora Core distros, compared to Windows are not simply install and go. You need to know some commands that will become simple over time, but there are many things you have to learn to get it to work right, setting up repositories, making sure dependencies are met, and there's no conflicts etc..and that's just to download MP3 support. I wiped my Linux drive upon return to the states, I just don't have time for it, and all politics aside Windows XP does what I, and the average user needs without any BS. Other than the eye candy, Vista seems pretty useless to the average user, and it's probably going to be a while before it is as usable as Xp.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
and jumping on the linux boat is a little scary for me. maybe when i get another box to fuck up or like others have mention, a more solid distro instead of like 12. pretty intimadating if you have zero experience with linux or programming for that matter.

Not really.

All you need to do is find out which distro is for you. It all depends on your knowledge of computers and Linux in general. If you have no Linux experience, then Linspire is a good start. Very easy to install, very easy to use. As you learn, you can start looking at other, more advanced distros.

You don't *need* to recompile your kernel, the stock kernel is setup to run as-is. All modules are usually included for all supported hardware so it's plug and play. Once again, as you learn you will build your own kernels.

i know E LOVES linspire, and i do too, but i gave it a thumbsdown.

upon initial install, it hung and rebooted my system several times. crashed alot. it didnt have support for my 2yr old CREATIVE LIVE! digital card. the NTFS support is buggy at best, and it is not recommended to transfer files between NTFS and linux partitions. that is really what swayed me from using linspire.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Not really.

i know E LOVES linspire, and i do too, but i gave it a thumbsdown.

upon initial install, it hung and rebooted my system several times. crashed alot. it didnt have support for my 2yr old CREATIVE LIVE! digital card. the NTFS support is buggy at best, and it is not recommended to transfer files between NTFS and linux partitions. that is really what swayed me from using linspire.

NTFS support is still lacking. No surprise Microsoft hasn't been the best in helping out.

I am however surprised that it didn't handle your soundcard.

ntfs is done after xp anyway. vista is said to be using a new file allocation system

well thats ass...next thing you know theyll get rid of the sam file and the days of reading my moms e-mail will be over :)

I've really come to enjoy Ubuntu or Kbuntu (sp?)
all I need is for the major companies to port there products to linux and I can use it. Like photoshop, autocad, mathcad, mathmatica, fea programs etc...

Get a Mac. No bullshit. Better computers, better OS. End of story.

Back