Windows XP Home licensing question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle Pope

Okay, I have this frankenstein HP walmart computer that the owner's daughter keeps fucking up. This is probably the 3rd time I've fixed it. Anyway, I was going to upgrade it from 98SE to XP Home since I have a Home Edition upgrade license. My question is, for all of you versed in XP's licensing rules, can I use a Home Edition full install disc with a upgrade cd-key? I lost the upgrade disc, but I have a full-version disc, so I was wondering if that one would work. Thanks all

Pretty sure it won't work. When I tried to do mine, I tried to use someone elses reinstall disc with my product code key, and it wouldn't work, I had to find a reinstall disc, and the proper code.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Oct 6 2004, 12:14 AM
Pretty sure it won't work. When I tried to do mine, I tried to use someone elses reinstall disc with my product code key, and it wouldn't work, I had to find a reinstall disc, and the proper code.
[post=398921]Quoted post[/post]​

kazaa lite or google that.

or download a whole new version of xp off of suprnova

my friend ripped a copy of XP that he downloaded to a disc and turned it into an iso so it works the same as a normal XP disc now, i suggest u do that

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Oct 5 2004, 10:15 PM-->
@Oct 6 2004, 12:14 AM

my friend ripped a copy of XP that he downloaded to a disc and turned it into an iso so it works the same as a normal XP disc now, i suggest u do that
[post=398924]Quoted post[/post]​

Fuck pirating windows. I've dealt with pirated XP before. XP seriously fucks up on pirated installs. OEM>>>>>>>>Retail>>>>>pirating.

Originally posted by Battle Pope+Oct 6 2004, 12:17 AM-->
Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Oct 5 2004, 10:15 PM
92b16vx
@Oct 6 2004, 12:14 AM

[post=398924]Quoted post[/post]​

Fuck pirating windows. I've dealt with pirated XP before. XP seriously fucks up on pirated installs. OEM>>>>>>>>Retail>>>>>pirating.
[post=398927]Quoted post[/post]​

It doesnt fuck up at all if you do it right and get the right file packs :). It took my friend a few tries, but sure enough my sister has it on her computer now and like 6 of my friends are running it. They even get windows updates.

Whatever, my boot ran jusy fine, till I installed service pack 2 and it realized it was never registered, then instead of just going through the right measures to bypass it, I just dumped it.

it wont work.

xp cd's with different keys don't even work.

you need to right key for the right disk for the right hash function

ive never had a problem using different cd keys with different installs...

im only a certified system builder, but what do i know. :p

i'll put $1000 that your key you have at home will not install on my cd i have at my house.

are you man enough to take that bet, mr certified?

:D

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 6 2004, 05:44 PM
i'll put $1000 that your key you have at home will not install on my cd i have at my house.

[post=399065]Quoted post[/post]​

I want a piece of that action.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 6 2004, 08:44 AM

[post=399065]Quoted post[/post]​

i'll take that bet, i have a corporate xp license :)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 6 2004, 11:44 AM
thats fine and dandy- my CD is not a corprate edition CD.

fuck you, pay me
[post=399134]Quoted post[/post]​

no, you pay me, i've gotten it to work on non corporate cd's ;)

Back