Windsheild replacement

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

I was just curious if it was easy enough to replace a front windshield. I had a piece of road debris shatter my front window(still intact though) and I now need a new one. Should I just leave it to the pros and pay them? or I have a buddy who has a winshield that will fit my car, should I do it myself?

I would leave it to the professionals. I wouldn't gamble with something as important as the structual integratity of my car. You might get a discount to if they are will do use your spare windshield.

well, it should be cake now, its usually the getting out of the window frame that fucks you, but if yours is already broke then you're golden...

is the other window already out?
pro's will charge about 75 ish to remove a window...
if yours is broke just remove is, it will be a lot of work but you'll get it...
easiest way is to take a cheap battery powered sawzall and put an old putty knife in it, then you place the knife upagainst the window and run the swazall around the edges of the window so as to break the seal between the fancy glue they use and the window itself...
NOTE: this does not mean to cut the window out... if you do not understand ask me to clarify further

i would advise 3m polyurethane window weld when putting the new window in

be careful with the moldings, you will most likely break the clips that hold them so prob a good idea to order then ahead of time...

dings smaller than a quarter are said to be fixable, cheaper than a new window too

i'd have a pro do it, if you don't know what your doing you'll crack the glass, or you'll have leaks, the first time i took the out glass in my car i craked the glass,then when i put the new one in i broke that one too. it took me a few tries with the second new peice, and got it in, but forgot the major step to getting it in and it started to leak, trust me, it take alot of practice and patience to change out glass, have a pro do it.

:werd:

Have a pro do it. Call around and get a few quotes, then call your local Safelite and have them match the price. They're always very professional, and they do a really good job making your new windshield look like it was installed at the factory. You can't say that for all the windshield replacement companies out there.

The last time I had my windshield replaced by Safelite, it only cost $160.

If your in or around NJ/NY area I know a few places who will do it CHEAP. Like 120 bucks, I paid 110 for the windshield in my offices Dodge Ram work Van. They quoted me 90 bucks for the Prelude, they do it in 45 mins or less too with a brand new windshield, option of using a used one.

shouldn't cost you more than $160 like calesta said, any more and its almost not worth it, and see if they can get you new rubber also, that helps so much, but not nessasary good luck

Heh. 180 is the cheapest I have found here in Augusta. A local shop said they would do it for 140 if I provided the window. The spare window is not removed from its donor, and from what I am gathering from you guys and some people I work with, its best left to the pros on all the aspects of windshields. Im the kinda guy that likes to do it myself if possible, but not as risky as it seems to be. Unfortunately, the shatter is enough to obstruct my view and i wouldnt be surprised if water came through next time it rains. I wish it were a 'ding'.....

Back