winter tires

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
I'm in need of some winter tires
and have been lookign around at some
is it hands down only buy

Bridgestone Blizzak or are there comparable brands that perform just as well as the Blizzak

are Hankook W401 and Yokohama IG10 Ice Guard
worth looking into

a friend of mine ran the blizzaks last winter ... he loved them when there was snow on the ground .... but they suck ass on wet or dry roads

i was and still am running Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymeticals.... they were GREAT in the snow and rain... and were still VERY good on dry roads ... i will definatly get them again for a year round tire

talk to me before you get anything though (i can get you a good price :) )

:withstupid:

the 5000's fared better than bills truck :)

if i didnt have studfdent snows for the 240, i'd be getting a set of them.

and again, the blizzaks are gereat for VT and canada... but here where thers only snow on the ground for about a day tops before its cleared off/plowed, the blizzaks aren't what we are after

I just picked up a set of Kumho I'zen stud snow tires (kw11) for my girlfriends Avenger. Haven't really driven in the snow with them yet but they were pretty good on dry roads when I took it for a spin... they can't compare to here summer tires just based on the different wheel sized (summer's are on stock 17's 215 wide, snow's are on 14" steelies and 195 wide)

I parked next to a guy at work yesterday that just put some blizzaks on his Z4 (what an ass for driving that thing in the winter in MN) and I was comparing the two tires and they seem pretty damn similar as far as tread design and rubber compound

I'd stay away from the hankook, haven't ever heard much good about them and they are supposed to still be making the "old school" snow tires. where as blizzak, kumho, dunlop, michelin are all using "hydrophilic" rubber compounds to help with snow and ice traction

I paid about $225 for the kumho's from discount tire direct

good luck

the dunlops sound great but they don't come in 13's

Eric can you get tires from
TireRack.com that aren't listed on their site
like the
Kumho I Zen KW11 (175/70R-13 82T B )
or the
Yokohama IG10 Ice Guard (175/70R-13 82Q BW)

I'm running Cooper Weathermaster S/T 2s all around on the Mustang. It made a world of difference, and for $86 install a tire for 205/60/16's (normally I run 225/55/16 in summer), they're a great price. I've also driven on the highway with them, up to 110. Not as stable as my Potenzas, but they were decent for high speeds. I don't have any complaints except for not doing any burnouts this winter.

see I don't care about all season performance I'm looking for a Winter Only Tire.
so it's only got to be able to perform up to 80mph on a dry highway. and then stick like glue in the snow. on my stock 13" rims

i cant get anything but what TireRack.com has on their site .... but from the looks of it .... the michelins are actually a better choice than the blizzaks... and they are a little cheaper too ... check em out and let me know what you wanna do

looks like you can get the Kumho's in a 13" but not through TireRack.com
I found the kumho's at tires.com (discounttiredirect) for $168 including shipping

if you get get a similar price on the Michelins then I'd go with those probably but I wouldn't pay a penny over $200 when you could get the kumho's for 168

the ones on my GF's car are 195/70/14's and her car weighs about 3k and I drove on dry freeway yesterday at close to 90 and was completely stable

of course just due to the fact that her summer tires are 215/50/17's the snow tires don't feel as good when taking corners... but that isn't a big concern

good luck with whatever you get

EDIT: the kumho's are quiet too, I didn't notice any change in road noise after puting them on compared to her summer wheels

Back