wire harness trouble

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Blakwolf9666

ok i just got a 92 civic lx 4d sedan 5sp non vtec. the problem is by the looks of it it used to belong to a kid and he completely screwed the wiring up so im trying to get a new wiring harness for the engine and instrument/radio panel. the problem is all i can find are the vtec harnesses and was wondering if i could the vtec harness or to just keep looking. and also while here what would be the best/easiest/cheapest engine to swap in?

so nobody can answer this question?? what happened this place used to be so full of info and ppl trying to help it wasnt even funny now its dead ....

what do you mean by "VTEC Harness"???

generally when a place is offering a "VTEC Harness" they are talking about the wires necessary to hook up VTEC from the ECU to the engine...

but with such a vague description, no links and so few details, it is hard to know what exactly you are talking about... perhaps if you gave us a little more info we might be able to help you

if you are planning on replacing the entire engine and dash harness you are pretty much going to need to go on ebay or to a junkyard...

here is the dash harness
92-95 Civic Dash Wiring Harness Stereo Gauge Wires 93 : eBay Motors (item 110566964468 end time Aug-02-10 08:43:25 PDT)

here is a non-VTEC engine harness
92 93 94 95 Honda Civic engine wire wiring harness MAN.: eBay Motors (item 230499623116 end time Aug-14-10 16:48:42 PDT)

here is a VTEC engine harness
HONDA CIVIC EX ENGINE WIRE HARNESS 94-95 VTEC HARNESS : eBay Motors (item 270482726443 end time Aug-06-10 11:40:08 PDT)

small-spoonfeed.jpg

well i guess what im trying to say is, is it ok if the harness is from a vtec engine or does it have to be from an engine that didnt have vtec because ive found a few harnesses that were cheaper but they were for vtec engines, and im just trying to replace the old harness that i have now, and does the engine harness also have the cables that connect to the headlights or just the connections for the engine(just a stupid question im trying to figure out) ... i hope that makes a little more sense

Last edited:
ok yeah thats much clearer

for the engine harness, no it doesnt matter if you use a VTEC harness on a non VTEC engine... you will just have some left over plugs... no big deal at all, just zip tie them out of the way

but make sure you get the right one for your OBD and generation

the engine harness does not have any plugs for anything but the engine... so headlights and such are all on another harness...

you might want to try to find one in a junkyard and strip the whole harness out of it... or find a donor car

ok thats what i needed ... and as far as the headlights i dunno what the hell the ppl where thinking but i have connections for 3 light on each side and a bunch of electrical tape lol im gonna have to take some pics of it and mayb someone will be able to figure out what the hell they did ...

by the way does anyone have a pic of the headlight wiring harness and relay attached to them if any, please i would greatly appreciate it

another quick question, i was wondering if the wiring harness for the gauge cluster/radio is the same for the automatics and manuals (so if i got one for an auto would it still work) and i heard today that the manual models of the 92 civics didnt come with the tach gauge but the auto did ... yet mine has it and it works, whats up with that?

also does anyone know if i take out the airbag or disconnected everything from the srs system would activate the dash light or no because id like to get rid of all the extra wires since i dont see any of the sensors on the bumpers anyway

spoonertuner.com has all the manuals you'd need. they also have wiring diagrams for the entire car.

if you get an engine harness from a vtec model (ex/si) it will work just fine in your dx/lx model car. as stated however you will have plugs that are not used. mainly the plugs associated with VTEC.

there are only three wires for the stock h4 headlights. they're not hard to figure out. find out what is stock wiring and what is not. and go from there.

dash wiring harnesses are the same between autos and manuals. meaning one will work in the other without issues. if you get an auto harness you'll have a couple left over plugs at the gauge cluster.

as for removing the air bags, yes of course thats going to turn the SRS light on on the dash. remove the cluster and remove the bulb, problem solved.

ok sorry to ask another question about this but im just trying to make sure before i spend the money, i found a dash cluster wire harness from a 95 civic ex manual and was wondering if it would fit the 92 civic lx, im sure it will but just wanna make sure before i buy thanks and again sorry

50 bucks shipped whoo lol better than 75 - 125 so im happy and it means i can get the dash and everything back together sooner lol thanks everyone for dealing with the stupid questions and the help im sure ill have more questions soon though lol

I just paid $11 for a spare dash harness from a 93 LX sedan at my local junkyard! Did you check the junk yard?

yeah i did a few times but all the ones i found were cut and the places that took them out for you wanted between 75 and 150 dollars so f that lol im happy enough with the fifty i paid and that im getting it finally

Back