1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wire tucking in 91 si rex.

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by Andrew, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

I'm kinda interested in cleaning up my engine bay a good bit, and I've seen some awsome engine-bay shots of wire-tucked cars. I was wondering if anyone knows where a good wire tuck 'write-up' would be?
    I've searched in this forum(ecu's electros and tuning), and in the CRX/civic forums, but havent really found any particular DIY type write-ups on it.

Anyone have a write up on it?
    Is it hard to do for just a 'regular Joe' mechanic?

Thanks fellas :)
    -Andrew

2. erebunicrx

erebunicrx my name is Dale

all depends on far you want to go. hers a eg but you get the picture http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1459195

for the crx little things make a difference. battery relocated, tb with map on top, charcoal canister thrown out, headlight wires extended after being brought throught the front frame, soap, degreaser, and more degreaser.

3. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

Is it a lot of work? or a full-day project?

I'm not planning to take it to that extreme, by ripping EVERYthing out of the car.
    Anyone have a walkthrough type post?

Thanks Erebunicrx, but like I said, I'm not planning on doing anything that crazy(with the interior), so hopefully I can get by with less demolition to the interior... can i?

4. formby

formby learning in progress

how patient are you ans how much prep time do you have....

when i do the wire tuck in my ek ill have the engine out and lots of time to plan and reasearch...i would not start this project until you know exacly what you need to do.

i'm still searching and its been a month...i'm using one big plug on the fire wall out to the engine and the brake, fuse box ect is going under the dash.

keep in mind that my mechanic works at honda...so if i mess anything up he can fix it...i just rather do my own shit..[i usually fuck something up doing another] its a learning process..

5. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

I'm pretty patient, especially when I want to do a quality job. I'm also a neat-freak, and a little obsessive-compulsive, so everything needs to be clean and neat, so that part shouldn't be an issue.

I've only just begun to research it. I just recently saw a picture of an engine bay with a wire-tuck, and fell in love with the simple, clean look it had.

My engine will be out at the time of my swap, so I'm planning to do it then(in about 2-3 weeks). I'd like to get it all done ASAP, but I know you can't rush things when it comes to electronics; thats when problems arise.

Anyway. Thanks for the advice, I'll be steadily reading more on this subject. Any links would be helpful guys.

Thanks again
    -Andrew-

6. formby

the main thing i saw when looking for a walk through was that you just need to extend each wire to each sensor...
    [​IMG]

thats it

7. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

huh. And do you mount them... under the dash on the passenger side maybe?

Does anyone sell extended wiring for jobs like this?

8. formby

i dont know

do you know how to solder? because its basic wiring...you just need to figure out what you want to do... and yes everything goes under the dash

9. formby

10. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

Thanks for those links Formby. I've been looking very closely at the pics, and I'm pretty confident I can do it. I'm a good solderer, and have heat-srink-wrap, so it will also look nice and neat! =)

Thanks for the info thus far fellas.
    -Andrew

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted