Wireless Router Setup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

newb

phresh
VIP
Ok, Ive got a Linksys WRT160N that Im tryin to hookup to my Comcast modem. It worked fine at my last house hooked up to Qwest modem. Now, I cant get internet access though it when I hook it up. I moved, and didnt have it at my new place yet when the Comcast guy was here so I couldnt have him set it up.

Anyone know what I can do to fix it?

Alright, one more question.

After I reset the router, do I go ahead and disconnect the LAN line, go through the wireless network setup (running WIN7), connect to the network then run the setup steps in the link you gave me?

Or am I missing something in the middle?

You should do the steps in the link BEFORE trying to establish a wireless connection on another device. Once you power the router on, and it is settled, then hardwire to the router, using a cat5 ethernet cord, and pull up the 192.168.1.1 in the browser, and follow the directions in the link.

THEN, go to the device you want to hook up to the wireless, and input the security info (if you decide to secure your network) and connect.

By the way, watch for that router to drop connections A LOT. I had that router for 4 months, and went through 3 of them thinking it was just a bad router, when it was actually just the way Linksys routers are sometimes. I took it back and swapped it our for a Netgear WDNR3700, and have double the range, setup was breeze, and the signal never drops. You may also have problems with Internet apps on TV's or blu ray players, as well as game consoles because Linksys systems don't like to get along with anything other than computers and printers...

Alright, Ill give that a shot too. Thanks.

Ive had mine for about a year and half, and its been flawless for me. I switched from a Netgear to this. The Netgear was so bad I couldnt even watch Youtube videos. I dont remember the model, but it was the white one with the blue circle on the side that has the LED's in it.

Ahh, this is one of the high end Netgear routers. I love the fact that through 8 walls, and 75feet away I still get 89% signal strength :D

So, just to update, I just got it all setup and workin right. Thanks for the links and tips guys!

Back