Wireless Signal Strength low?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

swanny

I have an internal wireless card on my computer and the router is only 3 feet away. It also says the speed is 11 Mbps is something wrong? I also loose my connection about once every hour. Today I also got a IM from AOL saying someone else was logged on my name, am I getting haxx0red :ph34r: ? I have both Norton and that AVG free virus scan going on right now.

What type of card is it? There are B and G items--Wireless Routers, network cards, USB external ports, etc. My roommate was cheap and got a B, which the max is 11 mpbs. I believe G is 54.

its like im on fucking prodigy again, on a 18.8 modem

11 Mbps is all you will ever get. is the signal strength low? like does it have 1/2/3 bars?? Or do you not have that kind of thing

edit. i just saw it was G... that maxes out at 22 Mbps, but I've never gotten it. I always have 11 mbps on mine and its still decently fast. do you have a shitty computer??

nah its a new HP, 3000 AMD , 512 RAM, 160 GB

my laptop gets better signal then my desktop both are G, full on my laptop one to two on the desktop

No I don't have a password protected network, (as far as I know) my girlfriend took her lappy with her tonight could that cause something?

11MB/s is faster than you will ever see.

cable, the fastest i've seen it hit, was about 800KB/s, or .8MB/s

11 times the speed of the fastest cable download is stupid fast.

you have issues, outside your connection to your router. the router is still limted by wht its connected to for the internet.

He's talking about 11 megabit network connection speed, B. DUnno if that's what you meant but it didn't sound like it.

Try running XP's wireless network wizard.

Sounds to me like you're having a problem with the internet itself.

I've had this problem a few years ago with my dsl, but had the guy come out, he changed the phone line the dsl was coming through, never had a problem again.

What ISP do you have? Back home, I had AOL, and at one time, we had 3 computers hooked up to it. The computer not hooked up to the computer would loose connection all the time. Alot of the time, it would sign off for no reason and would not connect. We would have to unplug the inntenna, wait for there to be zero bars, then plug it back in, and it would work fine for a while. It would basicly reset the connection. Everything in our house was D-link (cheap and crappy) One thing that really messes with wireless is wireless phones. That would make me loose my connection all the time.

Here up in college, in a few places, we have wireless internet. When you can get a signal, it works GREAT and downloads a shitload faster then normal.

I have Adelphia, both my computer and my girlfriends lappy are lagging like a mother. Last night there was a fire and the power went out in most of central PA but it just flickered here, do you think some sort of surge could've messed it up? It is hooked up to a surge protector.

Fixed it, went to my "wireless connection status" to "support" to "repair" I'm as happy as a lark, time to smoke a joint :D

Hey man you'd better enable WEP at the least if not WPA encryption, someone could be stealing your bandwidth.

Well if you read the instruction manual, or maybe even with the router setup wizard there should be an option to enable WEP(wired equivelancy protection) or WPA which is better. You enable one of those, create a key, then go to the clients and put the key on those computers so they can access the router. I would also at least enable MAC filtering, which is putting the MAC #s pf each wireless card into the router, so only those MAC #s can connect. Another good thing to do is turb off the wireless beacon, so if someone is sniffing for a network, it is harder to find. All of this should be in the router setup util.

Back