wireless USB?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
ok. so here is the main thing i want to do. i have a lexmark printer/scanner. its big, and doesnt match the rest of my computer setup. so i have it on the other side of the room. when i want to print, i usually run a long USB cable across the room and hook it up. but i would like to do this wirelessly. i dont need something for internet access or any of that junk, im really just looking for a product that is just like a wireless cable, except without the cable. so it just sends info from one end to the other.

is there any such product? i know theres that belkin wireless USB hub. but is that the same thing?

yes i know my printer sucks, but its cheap. and i dont feel like getting a new one. if what i want to do isnt possible, thats fine, i just want to know if there are any products out there that do what i want.

heres a basic explanation of what they are and what they do

Wireless Print Servers

heres a bunch of them for sale

Wireless Print Server, 802.11b 802.11g Wireless USB Print Servers at TigerDirect.com

your own searching will yeild better results and prices
but that should get you started

basically it allows any computer on your network to print to how ever many printers are attached to the print server
its good shit
and most do have USB connectors on them
network ready printers usually have an onboard print server

Not to be a dick, mr super moderator GSRCRXsi but here you go....

"wireless print server" - Google Search
Results 1 - 10 of about 416,000 for "wireless print server". (0.13 seconds)
linksys-wps54g-400.jpg

see i dont think thats what im looking for. that uses a network. i just want something that plugs into the USB port of my computer, sends the signal wirelessly to the receiver and out to the USB port on the printer. this print server requires that i set up a network. i only want to print from 1 computer, theres no point in setting up a network for 1 computer.

this thing would have to go through a wireless router. and my wireless router is for internet access, not an ad-hoc network.

Last edited:
hmmmm gimme a few
ill see what i can find

yea thats what im looking for. but damn thats a little expensive... but oh well. thanks E

if your computer is set up for wireless could prolly just get a wireless usb plug.

yea thats what im looking for. but damn thats a little expensive... but oh well. thanks E

yeah i know its definitely spendy

if you are willing to wait there is word of a straight wireless USB "cord" coming down the pipe soon

basically like the wireless USB hub but its a point to point single device connection
depending on how much other shit you have that could be connected the hub could be cool

otherwise it might make more sense to go with the print server

me personally id go with the print server if you already have a wireless router for your laptop or whatever

im just surprised no one thought of this sooner. or started developing it sooner. i mean everything else is wireless lol.

im just surprised no one thought of this sooner. or started developing it sooner. i mean everything else is wireless lol.

Uhm, want to know a secret? Artie works on this kind of stuff here at home. He has all kinds of neat gadgets in here, but he can't sell them to companies. There's not enough people interested, until, 6 months later he sees people using his ideas.

But, anyway...

I tried to invent the wireless extension cord once

2300-8501~Lightning-Posters.jpg

While it technically worked I could never get it to power my computer

Back